Rod storage XB 2003

Kruton

I thought I remember reading were someone customised their rod locker on a 2003? Where the rods are seperated by plastic tubes or something like that??? Anyone have any ideas on keeping rods seperate in the locker?

chad202

I had some in mine but rathered it without. To clear the step, you had to push them foward a good bit. Then the weight of the rod butt and reel was not supported. I fish with eight rods and it hasn't been a problem.

g2072

rod storage

Do yourself a favor and call Stor'sIt and get some rod and reel covers. They will protect your equipment and tangled rods in your 2003 will be history. I can easily carry over a dozen in my 2003 without any problem and any of them will come out easily.

scott mann

reels

I haven't done it yet, but I don't know why it wouldn't work... Build yourself a small box that is roughly the size and shape of the rear portion of the rod box, approx. 10" long. In the front of the box, cut holes with a mandrel bit so that those plastic sleeves they use in golf bags will just slide in (cut the length you need). Assuming that your rod handles will slide into these; you could spray some of the expanding foam insulation around the tubes before fastening the back of the box on to secure the tubes. Cover with matching carpet and install in box. The rod handles would slip into the tubes and the rods would project forward. I will "eyeball" this a little closer this week-end.
What'd ya' think?
Scott

white03

I did it and put a post on the old board. I got the idea from another web site. Basically I took a piece of that white butcher board like you can buy from Wal MArt and shaped it to the inside dimensions of the rod locker, then drilled holes in it and put in tubes that I got from Bill at Allison. Like mentioned above, you have to put the butcher block 12' to 14 inches inside the rod box or you will loose storge space due to the rod handles and the step. Mine will hold 9 rods in the tubes and more rods above the block if I want to..

I had used Stor-it rod sleeves before I built the rod holder and I like the rod holder better because I no longer have to mess with taking the sleeves on and off. I did use the sleeves though on the insides of the tubes and they serve to cushion the rods and help prevent damage.

I'll try to take some pics again so you can see what it looks like....or maybe Kevin can still access posts from the old site.

jimmyb

here is a simple way to make your rod storage:
http://www.bassboatcentral.com/cheaprodholder.htm

this article shows using golf tubes for the rods, but the golf tubes are usually a bit small in diameter to fit spinning rods easily. For spinng rods, your best bet is to order the larger tubes from allison or some other boat builder (they only cost a few bucks)

another alternative is the the rod sock approach
http://www.storsit.com/

however, i personally hate having a sock that comes out with a rod! i hate dealing with it, especially in a tournament!!! I did think of a way of improving this, though... and that would be by fixing the tips of the rod socks up in the bow of the boat, so the socks would stay in place when you pull the rod out. When you want to put the rod back in, then you just put the tip of the rod in an empty sock and slide it in. Dunno how well it will work, but just a thought

Forkin' Crazy

I was thinking of this also. Especially on the right side where you might entangle a rod with a wire/cable/etc..

The white stuff... plastic... UMW or HUMW or something like that... I'll check... for some reason I can't remember the name... :?

And... What about using PVC pipe? You can get it in several thicknesses and sizes. :?:

scott mann

rod holder

Can you be more specific on the white butcher block material from Wal-Mart? Is this a cutting board? What department?
Thanks,
Scott

jimmyb

kitchen dept... located by knives and potsand pans... youcan get a pretty big plastic cutting board for like $8

or any 3/8" thick plastic sheet should work ok...

pvc pipe doesnt work as nice as the golf tubes or real rod tubes because it is much heavier and the golf and rod tubes have a very nice rolled edge on the lip

XB21er

Hey, those look familiar. I got the cutting board from Wal-Mart and the tubes from Bill at Allison. PVC won't work very well because they have to compress at the front of the locker, otherwise you'd only get like four of them in there. This is from an XB21 ProSport.

Craig

jimmyb

actually craig (xb21er) did it... :)

i was waiting for him to jump in on this thread

K

Kevin from FL

Yep, that's Craig's handy work. I just found the pics and posted em.

XB21er

Jessie-
I'd be happy to send you a template except I don't think mine(XB21) would work for you. I used the same instructions Jimmy posted and made a template out of some 1/4" plywood I had layin around- I shaped that until I got it right, then used that as a template for the plastic.

Jimmy- I tried the rod sock thing too- I used cable ties to fix them together at the tips - it was still kind of a pain to get the rods in there cause you had to reach and hold the sock to get the rod in.

GFinch- you must be the Gary Finch that just won the WON Bass Naci tourney? I love that lake.

jimmyb

yeah, i was thinking the same thing about the rod sock deal... I figured you would probably have to grab a sock and slip the rod in. Since i am short and dont have the biggest wingspan, i figured it probably wouldnt work for me

looks like the tubes are probably gonna be the best bet for me

GFinch

XB21er thanks for noticing, but to get it right my wife, Chris and I won that tournament.

Yes Naci is now a good lake (Spots have taken over).

Chris also has the Spotted Bass lake record for Naci. Caught during a WON Bass tournament years ago.

Jessie

Rod Storage

Maybe someone can get a template for an XB 2003 and sell them for $5-10. I'll buy one, who is next?