Ride Guide Expertise

aeneas

Do you happen to know what year your mid-section is?[Pic is kinda shadowed, but it looks like you have the old style single bolt tiller arm?
Sorry for the bad pic, It was raining and I didn't want to take the boat outside... The engine is a '06 Mercury 200xs S SM (ros). The tiller is this one (image from my exact serial number):

Link: http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury_marine_parts/sn/1E001692/1920401FH/11822_230

The steering looks like this (image from before installing):

Those 2 empty bolt holes in the bottom of the plate, have you ever had bolts attached to the tiller arm with them?
No.
Is your tiller arm able to receive bolts from those 2 empty holes in the steering bracketry?.
Not sure. I don't think so looking at the swivel image above but will have a look and take new pics tomorrow.

Last edited:

Myron

that is not the right plate for that steering arm

aeneas

that is not the right plate for that steering arm
Which plate should I have? This was originally fitted on a Mercury 200 carb 20" mid...
Nils, I went back and viewed a few of your (excellent) vids...maybe it's my eyes, but I'm not seeing those 2 bottom bolt holes on the ride guide bracket being used...
Thank you! Yes, that is correct, the two bottom holes are not used.

sledman8002002

Lucky, lucky, lucky(!!) the bracket only swiveled to one side and the ARP bolt didn't snap. That factory swivel you have pictured is different than mine, I'm sure someone will be along shortly with the correct set up you need.
Man, I think it goes without saying, you really shouldn't run it like it is until you have the proper bolts in all 3 spots.

nort

You're going to need to fabricate a new plate to attach to the tiller arm that is deeper (front to back) with a second hole to allow you to bolt through the rear hole on the tiller arm. Use the original plate as a template so you can get the proper offset where the steering arms attach. The other alternative is to get the larger tiller arm which allows for use of the 2 face bolts.
Consider yourself lucky!! That could've had a very BAD ending.

aeneas

Ouch! I consider myself very lucky! What luck that I asked! I am going to have a new plate made. I will get some cardboard and map it and then send it and the old plate to a guy that does lots of stainless things for boats (special headers etc). Is it the same bolt for the second hole (so he knows what dimension to drill)? I assume there will be two ARP bolts in the future.

Thank you so much for helping out! :)

A question, the Seastar Pro hydraulic steering only has one ARP bolt... That is not safe?

aeneas

I just got my new custom made plate. It is made from 2343 stainless steel in the same dimension as the original. Will fit it tomorrow with two ARP bolts and then go boating before winter sets in.

I will assemble it correctly. The guy who made them just put it together for show.

aeneas

What do I put in this hole (see red arrow in the image below)? Which screw? Part number? A regular steering ARP will not fit. Also the hole in the tiller is not through, it is plugged.

aeneas

Ok, I give up on the cable steering and will be going hydraulic. I am going Seastar Pro (Allison). What length hoses for the SS2000? The cables are 16 and 17.

Last edited: