Ride Guide Expertise

sledman8002002

Gentlemen, I'm looking for your expertise in my steering set-up. Dual ride guide is a bit different than what I've dealt with before. Can you tell by the pics if I've mounted the main bracket correctly? I dunno, but I think/feel there might be another bracket I need to add to the main bolt/center hardware?
I've 2 1/4" allen bolts left over, I see where they would go on the bracket, but nothing I can see on the motor.
Now it is a 2.4 where as the last unit on the boat was a much more modern 2.5 200 XS(?)
Any and all help appreciated!

Allison may 6 002.JPG Allison may 6 004.JPG

Jon

Supporting Member
That is really far forward with the bracket. It is mounted correctly, but I think the angle will make steering difficult. Here is my setup, and unfortunately a 200XS and not a 2.4 like yours. Allen screws on mine go into the front of the bracket and mount to the motor steering bracket.

IMG_0194.JPG IMG_0193.JPG

sledman8002002

Thanks Jon, great pics! I did some googling this afternoon and couldn't find nuthin, so I winged it. I see now I'm going to need to make an adapter plate and do some shimming to get it back in there further.
It does turn back and forth OK tho, just don't like only having the one bolt holding it in place.

nort

You'll probably find the steering binds up when you try to turn with the motor trimmed.
The issue you've got is with your tiller arm. The production tiller arm has the mount hole much farther forward vs the flat face mount found on the heavier HP version. The 2 left over bolts are likely for the face mounting. You can see em on Jon's.
Does your tiller arm have 2 holes in the top or just one?

sledman8002002

Does your tiller arm have 2 holes in the top or just one?
Yes it does have 2 tiller arm holes. The one further back (underneath) is the one I was striving for, but the heads of the other bolts on the bracket interfere with the arm. So, I'll make a spacer to go between the arm and bracket to get it there. I'll also fab up a plate so as to use the front hole as well as using the 2 allen bolts.
(Unless I can come across the proper hardware produced for this set-up)

Myron

it looks like you have the old tiller arm style, if you do not have the bolt holes for the front DO NOT USE IT WITH JUST THE ONE BOLT HOLDING IT.

nort

If you're going to stick with the smaller tiller arm I'd strongly suggest you consider a steering truss ( that's the plate you see in one of the S&F pics). Last I heard they were available from Reynolds racing. If you can't source one easily I've got one we can template and copy. A local machine shop I deal with will make em up if you want one with out having to deal with all the cross border crap.
I may also have the plate you're looking for or at least a dimensioned drawing. I was going to have a few made a couple years ago but never got around to it.

mtolley

You have the wide tiller part on the skinny tiller. Wint work well. You need the correct part for the skinny tiller. If you could find the whole setup for the skinny tiller would be best, I think the arms are a little diffrent as well

nort

That's more gooder!!
Races are in Gravenhurst at the end of June.
Come out and play, your GS is a perfect rig for our Formula class (stock lake boats 225hp or less).
I've got a few props you could try.

aeneas

So the center piece that the arms are attached to should be straight? Mine is now off to one side.

aeneas

Here is a pic taken straight from the transom towards the engine. The engine is in line with the boat but the center piece is off to one side... Need input on what to do! Thank you!

sledman8002002

Do you happen to know what year your mid-section is? Pic is kinda shadowed, but it looks like you have the old style single bolt tiller arm? I had the same problem when 1st rigging my old 2.4 200 from the late 1980's to the Allison's opposing steering cables. (See above pics top of the page)
Those 2 empty bolt holes in the bottom of the plate, have you ever had bolts attached to the tiller arm with them? Is your tiller arm able to receive bolts from those 2 empty holes in the steering bracketry?
Can you supply further pics? One from each side and same as above but with camera held down lower.