REV LIMITER

B HEBERT

Went run my boat yesterday. Took everything out of it for a good cleaning and could nor resist the urge to run it without the trol motor on it. The last time I ran it light, it broke 90 and the rpm's were up to about 7000. This time the same prop hit the rev limiter at 6500 and the speed was down to 86. I tried a 27 SRX. The prop pulled hard but hit the limiter at 6500. A chopper and ET also hit the limiter at 6500. What can cause my limiter to change? Only thing I can think of is maybe a bak plug. Will change them and try again. The motor is a 200 Super Mag. Had the front half changed to a 225 intake and the computer changed to turn higher rpm's.

Thanks
Barry

hack02

Did it turn 7 before you had the changes made or after. I would say check the filters but if it signs off everytine at 6500 it sounds electrical. I'm like you, I would change the plugs and run it again. You could try a smaller pitch prop you know you could hit the limiter with , like a 24, just to see if it will go on up to 7.

On Tap

The 200 SuperMag factory rev limiter is supposed to be 6750rpm's.

Like Hack suggested, run a prop that will send the rpm's to the moon and see if it cuts itself back at 6500 or rev's past. Go from there.

Let us know...

B HEBERT

It is in the shop now. The mechanic called Mercury and was told that it was either the throttle position indicator or a glitch in the computer. Hope it is cheap.

Thanks Barry

JR

TPI

The TPI will not affect the motor after 3k rpm. I have to replace my TPI every year due to the vibration killing it. When the TPI goes bad, it will idle fine but as you push the pedal it will lean out until it hits 3k. Above 3k it runs great.
JR

B HEBERT

It has turned 7000 in the past. Found out it is a glitch in the computer. My mechanic put a 23 Yamaha drag on it and it cut off at 6500. He put a computer that has limiter set at 9000 and it turned up 8000 before he shut it down. Hope he can have the computer reprogrammed.