Replacement gauges

jws40108

Hello everyone, I’m in the process of putting new gauges in my 95 xb2003. I really want to use the auto meter pro comp gauges but am concerned about the trim gauge they sell. Have read that it is really slow to respond and there isn’t very many markings on face to be really accurate with a glance at gauge at speed. What guages are some of you guys using and having good luck with? Also with gps speedometer what mph are you using, if I remember correct from youth you don’t want a gauge running near maximum scale aka 100 mph speedo running 95 mph. Thanks guys and hope everyone has a good day.

gmorgan

I’ve had all Livorsi gauges for about 8 years, and they have been very reliable. I think Autometer makes them for Livorsi.

jws40108

I’ve had all Livorsi gauges for about 8 years, and they have been very reliable. I think Autometer makes them for Livorsi.
I’m with you, I think auto meter makes them as well. I’m just going to not use a trim gauge as I’ve seen post that say they respond to slow. Never had a trim gauge with an outboard before and if I need one I will install a mechanical trim indicator so it’s accurate. When I posted this I didn’t know they made mechanical trim indicators, been out of high speed boating for 20 years. Thanks

GotMyAlly

Trim gauge is fine when you're pulling into the trailer or beach and want to check that you're trimmed up for clearance without looking back. But for driving, it's not really a reliable point of reference. Need to feel what the boat is needing re: trim. That varies by load, etc.

Have trim gauge in mine but only because it came that way. Can't remember the last time I actually looked at it.

jws40108

Trim gauge is fine when you're pulling into the trailer or beach and want to check that you're trimmed up for clearance without looking back. But for driving, it's not really a reliable point of reference. Need to feel what the boat is needing re: trim. That varies by load, etc.

Have trim gauge in mine but only because it came that way. Can't remember the last time I actually looked at it.
I totally agree. I’ve always drove by the seat of my pants so to say. Trim indicator has always been a must for stern drive but like I said I’ve never had one on an outboard. Have 4 spots for small gauges and was really trying to decide what useless gauge is going in the 4th spot. Fuel level, engine temp and water pressure is really all I needed. Going with the least useless by getting a volt gauge. Lol

jws40108

Thank you, I’ve been thinking about putting a level on the dash just for that reason. Didn’t think about plugging hole. Really appreciate the idea’s