Renewed member

G Allen

I run at high altitude (6000-7600) above sea level so can't help much. I lose 25-35% power in the high mountain air. 14" setback on fixed Allison Jackplate, sport master lower unit, propshaft even with the pad. Tops out low 70's running a Hydromotive 14 3/4/26 Q4 OT. Going to get another prop for it this spring that has a bit more bow lift, leaning towards a Pro Max 14 1/2/26, or possibly a trophy in the same size and pitch. If I feel rich might also pick up a lightning ET or Hoss Triton for a tad more speed, but think that I might be better off with a four blade over/under design with a long barrel on it.

Has a 24v Minn Kota Ultrex on the bow, very heavy trolling motor but awesome to fish with. Starter battery group 29 lead/acid is in the back sponson starboard side, the two group 29 troller batteries are set as far back as possible, one in the port side back sponson, the other in front of it in the rear of the port side rear storage. Using a 3 bank Minn Kota charger unit mounted in front of the gas tank. I am planning on moving the starter battery forward into the back end of the starboard rear side compartment and will shift the troll batteries forward so both of them are in the port side rear side compartment as well. When the fuel tank was full I was getting a slight porpoising at low 60's with the batteries way aft. I took a big fat fella fishing and had him sit on the trash receptacle one day to keep the boat balanced laterally and the porpoising was much worse. The hull does not seem to like being way heavy in the back. I might have over compensated moving the batteries so far back to counter the weight of that troll motor, will find out next spring, the lakes are frozen here right now. Lateral balance is more critical than fore/aft, I use down rigger weights and scuba belt weights in the port side rod locker to off set my 195-200 pound dressed weight in the drivers' seat. Too heavy to the right is not good, gets squirrely on the chine walk low 60's, better to be a tad heavy to the left side if anything. Mine is set up for multi species fishing, the first Allison ever to do that setup. See "Allison Boats and the Shrinkage Factor" in the new user section here, I had a lot of fun learning what I have learned so far. Abuse by one of the three previous owners caused the bottom of the pad to get roughed up and scarred with some of the lip worn off as well. So some of the porpoising behavior I am compensating for might well be caused by hull damage. Working with some gel coat applications will be my next project after moving the batteries. I will get underneath it next spring with a sanding black to smooth out some of the damage next spring at least, a couple hours of elbow grease while wearing a dust mask should help some.

G Allen

Mine had it from a previous owner, it's an awesome thing. The unit that Allison sells is a bit more pricy but has a couple unique features. Many owners just bought the regular Seastar setup and love it. Mine has the regular Seastar.