Reeds new aftermarkets stuff

LakeAnna

What reeds has anyone here used in the 225X? I was looking a Chris Carson's 265sj.
I looked them up and it appears Mercury only sells the complete reed cage assembly. Another name I have heard is TDR reeds. I know they have been doing 2 stroke stuff a long time. Either one of these or are there better options??

Thanks!

resqu-u

I'm running TDR's in my 225 promax with no complaints either. I've heard Chris's are a copy of the TDR and only good things on both brands.

2003225X

What reeds has anyone here used in the 225X? I was looking a Chris Carson's 265sj.
I looked them up and it appears Mercury only sells the complete reed cage assembly. Another name I have heard is TDR reeds. I know they have been doing 2 stroke stuff a long time. Either one of these or are there better options??

Thanks!
Isn't it running right?

LakeAnna

TDR has two different styles the slotted pedals and the regular... They also have glass/epoxy and the carbon fiber. Now which of these is best for a lake motor?
I read a little on the site and it seems the solid reeds without any relief slot are what I would need? (carbon fiber)

Thanks everyone for your input thus far.

Last edited:

David Lanham

I had Chris Carson do the rubber coating removal process on my 225X cages and install new reeds.
Not certain what he installed but I told him to use ones close as possible to OEM characteristics.

Although the rubber coating on mine seemed okay, there are stories out there that the rubber coating loses it

Dave Hensley

David have you ever used a DDT on your 225X? I have a Smartcraft cartridge but the A13 harness that fits the 4 pin plug doesn't have the power leads to run the DDT. The 4 pin port also does not have the normal blue and white wire running to it either. I gathered up a couple of harnesses and 3 cartridges and still can't seem to read ECM. At first glance it looked like the set up for a 280 would work but the plugs are different.

I had Chris Carson do the rubber coating removal process on my 225X cages and install new reeds.
Not certain what he installed but I told him to use ones close as possible to OEM characteristics.

Although the rubber coating on mine seemed okay, there are stories out there that the rubber coating loses it

LakeAnna

Isn't it running right?
Not to bad for what it is and I have had no issues this summer... None. So, just planning ahead for a little winter project.:wink

Anyone have the part number for the sport jets from TDR I need? Should I give Jay a ring or just pick them up online from TDR? Thanks

njj502

I went TDR and am happy with them thus far. I got mine from Jay since he's a supporting vendor on S&F but you could call TDR direct. I believe I got the sport reeds (7 petal)

Bobalouie

I have TDR on my 280 and like them pretty well. Go with epoxy for a lake motor, CF is cool, but best suited for racing applications. Jay Smith at JSRE is a TDR dealer, just give him a call and he can tell you all you want to know and recommend the best set for you.