Recommendations, XB2003 with 115 slow to plane...

BigRWater

At times I have a need to get 700 pound family fisherman crew up on plane in my 1998 XB 2003, with a new to me Mercury Pro XS 115.
With 115 the boat bogs down and takes a bit to get on plane without water & fish in the livewell. When we add water and fish then everyone has to stand next to me and lean forward to get her up on plane.

Currently I am using a 25 pitch prop on the motor with a 10 inch set back (A CMC hydraulic & a CMC manual power lift). The propeller shaft is about 1 and 3/16 inch below the pad (this is the highest that I can raise the motor, the 115 is 20 inch shaft).

I want a new motor mounting bracket so I can have more capability, would love an Allison Skid Plate

I would prefer hydraulic lift & lower capability to allow me to handle the great variance of weather/wind/waves conditions along the great Columbia river. In less desirable weather, we both fish off of the back platform of the boat, I need as light weight an option as possible.

I have Allison SeaStar steering. I need a bracket mount that insures that my Allison SeaStar steering can not be damaged.

I am clear to spend the money, I just want to buy the best options.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Drop down a couple inches or more on your prop when you have a load. Try a 21" and see what happens. It sounds like you are really lugging that motor.

BigRWater

Thanks, we are going try to get some props shipped in to try... ...also will try to call Allison today about a skid planer.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
What are your current numbers for RPM and SPEED? On the Columbia I doubt you are worried about top end. Prop it to max out your RPM and you will have much better control when the water gets riled up and the wind starts blowing. If you are fishing with a load be careful about adding a lot of stern lift too. You want the bow high in rough water.