Reckon this'll fit???

RedAllison

http://www.basscatstore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=780

Rick and them came up with a new boarding ladder. If it'll fit my boat then SOLD!!! The 02s and 03s are a lil easier to board with those swim decks. The 21s have no boarding platforms and are nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get into without a ladder. I'll keep my portable ladder to hang over the side for summer time use, but this jackplate ladder looks like a great emergency "winter fishing" ladder.

Hmmmmmmmmm hey Santy Claus,
RA

GotMyAlly

I seen that a while back and thought about buyin one for my boat. Looks to me like it'll bolt to any motor/plate combo. Only issue might be clearance between the side of the jackplate and the wingtip.

Fishforcash

Its a little pricey but heck how much is a life worth?

Carl built one for his Bullet plate (Hydrodymanics). I think he built MHA one too.

tekajo

I have the Allison ladder that is attached directly to the jackplate on the xb2003. This ladder appears to extend a little deeper into the water and is hopefully better. I am 5ft 9 inch and weigh 175 lbs. In the summer with a swimsuit and ski jacket boarding the 2003 xb still takes some degree of athletic ability. If I was fully clothed, wet, and cold.....scares me. I will not fish alone in the cold.

fishnfireman

. If I was fully clothed, wet, and cold.....scares me. I will not fish alone in the cold.
Even with help in the boat...It can be quite a job to get back in with winter clothes on.
Once they get soaked it makes you HEAVY.

A little trick I learned the hard way.
If you can get your feet on the cavitation plate. Grab the cowl..and trim the mtr up.It will lift you out enough to get on the deck..

jaybluez

Not only will the heavy clothes hinder your attempt to board the boat again, but once your nads feel the cold water on them they make a dash as far up as they can, subsequently winding up in your throat and choking the life out of you! :help

tekajo

fishnfireman, I like the trick, thanks. Hope I never need to use it.

RedAllison

Winter fishing CAN be life threatening if you go for a swim. When fishing in dangerously cold water I've always tried to keep another set of clothes and boots in a water proof duffle bag and throw it under the deck. Even a dry sweat shirt, jeans, socks and shoes will keep you warmer than soaking wet clothes on a 20-30 mile run back too the truck. I think I'm going to add a towel, gloves and extra coat too my "winter bag" after New Years. Might even start wearing an inflatable for extra precaution (ESPECIALLY when alone). Funny how the older and fatter we get the more "skeert" we get... or is it gaining wisdom? :embarassed

The old "hang on the cav plate and trim it up" CAN work if it has to. But doing it across the big arse end of a 21 is a far cry from doing it on the smaller boats. I tried it the first day out in my 21 just to see if I could. That was in 85 degree water with trunks on. I can't imagine trying it while shivering, panicking and wearing 50-75 extra #s of soaking wet clothing plus water filled winter boots! :cuss PLUS if you slip the cav plate or especially a super sharp prop can make an otherwise embarassing fall in the lake into a bloody emergency room visit!!! :help

:wink
RA

GFinch

Make sure that inflatable is on the out side of your clothing, otherwise if it is under tight clothing it could inflate and keep you from being able to take that breath.

Yellowallison

i've always thought the retractable boarding Ladder that Triton offers where it pulls out of the corner of the boat and folds down lookeed like it might something to think about......

other than cutting a hole in coner of boat:smile

fishnfireman

The Triton ladder is a nice trick…and would probably work on some Allisons…Like yeller says. “I hates to cut ya”

The water proof bag red speaks of, should go on every winter trip..Mine stays in the boat..It includes…an old pair of insulated coveralls, socks, ski gloves, toboggan, some MRE’s, a can of sterno, with waterproof matches and bottled water.

I am embarrassed to tell this on my self-----You can get in a 21 prosport which has the old school alien cowl motor…

The day I did…. it was for real. With wet clothes on and the fear of dieing. The last thing your worried about is a little bo-bo on your foot. Besides that a pair of winter boots will help grip the cavitation plate.

The trick is to relax…….grab the portside air hole in the Alien cowl with your left hand. Bend your knees and put your feet on the cav. plate, prop nut or any place it will help support your wt….use your right hand to hit the trim switch. You may look like the proverbial monkey humpin da football…but that’s OK..

However one of these trick boarding devices would take the worries out of getting back aboard !!

Last edited:

FLYING BUTCHER

we were at the factory a few weeks back. Friend of mine got the Allison boarding step from Bill. It looks like it will work great. We didin't know Allison made one as never seen a picture of it anywhere. It attaches to bottom of jackplate and has a better step than the one pictured here.

john4utvols

I have been in the water during winter, I believe the temp outside was 40 and the water temp was 40 I believe I stayed in the water for 10 minutes:help, and I had a extra pair of coveralls and I still had to get in a warm shower to cool me off.
I might could have stood the cold but I was way too soar from being throwed out.

Allison21tom

i use a offset bracket attached to the jackplate. the bracket has a "V" slot that accepts the popular marine step ladder. I cut the lower step off the ladder and keep it in my storage box when I'm fishing with a partner. if I take a dive my partner can set up the ladder.
If I'm fishing by myself, I take the ladder out of the storage box. Tie a rope between the ladder and my cleat, if I fall in the water I can the retrieve the ladder and install it my self.
A Triton type ladder for a Allison would be great.