Ran the 225X

catfish123

Yep Matthew........I remember that training from Lee like it was yesterday........after he spent about 16 hours on the water with me over an entire weekend, his parting comment was, "Bob, you do realize that you still can't really drive the boat right, don't you?..........but you did at least learn enough that you won't kill yourself". He told me he wouldn't sell me the boat unless he went on the water long enough with me to be satisfied that I would at least be safe. And yep Matthew........you picked it up MUCH quicker than I did, just like you always did in whipping my azz in video games too............lol........I would never really know how fast my boat is without you.

JOEALLY

I never had my 225X go into guardian from holding it on the limiter. And I ran it for miles on the limiter. I've ran half the length of Pickwick - probably 30 miles - and never let out and it would stick right at 6850 the whole way, bell icon and beep too.

Now my 250XS is a different story. Hold it on the limiter too long and you better hang on cuz here come the air brakes!
That's why I was letting off today, because im use to the 200xs, it would go into guardian mode, next time out I will hold it on the limiter to make sure it's 6850 Rpms.

2003225X

I never knew any of the motors would shut down after being on the limiter for a certain amount of time. How long can you stay on it with yours Neal do you know?

That would not be fun having it go in to guardian mode at over 90mph.

GotMyAlly

My last 250XS had an 'oops' ECU. Rev limiter was set at 5850 instead of 6350. I did several nose-dives in it until we figured out what was up and sent it back to Mercury Racing for a reflash of the ECU.

GotMyAlly

I never knew any of the motors would shut down after being on the limiter for a certain amount of time. How long can you stay on it with yours Neal do you know?

That would not be fun having it go in to guardian mode at over 90mph.
Not long! Five seconds is all you get on the limiter, then it cuts power to about 2k rpms. You have to lift your foot for 2-3 seconds, then you can put your foot back in it and go again.

It's really not an issue with the 6350 rev limiter though. I prop mine to run about 6100. The 250XS power curve really starts falling off after that anyway.

xb03

The 28p chopper was the only prop you tried? Where is there some good water to run in between Gulfport and Monroeville??

JOEALLY

The 28p chopper was the only prop you tried? Where is there some good water to run in between Gulfport and Monroeville??
Yea, i forgot my prop wrench at home
Mobile river is about all I know between here and there. You need to come up here and catch some spotted bass:big grin

catfish123

Well.......take that boat out with a different prop or two and post some more numbers so we'll all have something more to talk about :at the bar :smile

aaronmt

Something seems off.I had a 225x and before I did the Simon ecu and flywheel it was on the limiter at 92.8mph on the grandsport.It was a bone stock 28 chopper 2,nothing fancy to look at either.Im wondereing if the pitch of your prop is closer to 26p.I do know that no two props are the same I had a Tim Hackney ally cut chopper 2 as well,and that prop did run as well as the full bladed 28.After the Ecu and flywheel I did see 98 and some change with that 28.Im not sure if your prop has been cut but I know our GS didnt like the allycut.

catfish123

I had run a 28 Chopper II Ally cut by Billy Eaves on my XB2003 with 225x that ran out at 92 mph much like you Aaron.....except of course that mine had been cut. This was at 6850 rpm's.

catfish123

OK...........that is not your typical "Ally cut" as I know it..........looks more like maybe a Bullet cut?

catfish123

I just found the following and thought I would add these old posts of mine. My 28 Ally cut chopper II ran even better than I remembered......and note the speeds with the 26 Chopper II

Post Title: Finally ran a 26 pitch Chopper II
Posted by: catfish123 at 9:42 PM 4/21/2007

I have an Ally cut 28 pitch Chopper II that ran a best of 93.6 on my XB2003 with 225X. My 26 Trophy hits the limiter at 86.5. I always wondered how a 26 Chopper II would do. I got one and ran it this weekend and got 89 even on GPS just barely into the limiter with nearly a full tank of gas and the trolling motor was on. I think this prop may hit 90. Are the Chopper II's normally more steeply pitched than the Trophy's? It seems they may even be more steeply pitched than ET's by my numbers. Either that or they just run more efficiently on an XB2003.

Post Title: Re: Finally ran a 26 pitch Chopper II (catfish123)
Posted by: Props4u2 at 9:48 PM 4/23/2007

Bob,
The larger blade area is knocking the slip factor down.

Post Title: Re: Finally ran a 26 pitch Chopper II (Props4u2)
Posted by: catfish123 at 7:05 AM 4/24/2007
Thanks Lee.........I had a feeling that might be the answer but I wasn't sure.

JOEALLY

I just found the following and thought I would add these old posts of mine. My 28 Ally cut chopper II ran even better than I remembered......and note the speeds with the 26 Chopper II

Post Title: Finally ran a 26 pitch Chopper II
Posted by: catfish123 at 9:42 PM 4/21/2007

I have an Ally cut 28 pitch Chopper II that ran a best of 93.6 on my XB2003 with 225X. My 26 Trophy hits the limiter at 86.5. I always wondered how a 26 Chopper II would do. I got one and ran it this weekend and got 89 even on GPS just barely into the limiter with nearly a full tank of gas and the trolling motor was on. I think this prop may hit 90. Are the Chopper II's normally more steeply pitched than the Trophy's? It seems they may even be more steeply pitched than ET's by my numbers. Either that or they just run more efficiently on an XB2003.

Post Title: Re: Finally ran a 26 pitch Chopper II (catfish123)
Posted by: Props4u2 at 9:48 PM 4/23/2007

Bob,
The larger blade area is knocking the slip factor down.

Post Title: Re: Finally ran a 26 pitch Chopper II (Props4u2)
Posted by: catfish123 at 7:05 AM 4/24/2007
Thanks Lee.........I had a feeling that might be the answer but I wasn't sure.
Were these speeds before or after modifying the lip?

JOEALLY

I'm wondering if I'm getting to the limiter hard with a lot of slip because Im running 1 1/2" - 1 3/4" above the pad?

The 200 case had to be that high to run but maybe the sportmaster needs to come down because it has more stern lift?

But, I think it's prop related more than anything.

catfish123

I'm not familiar with the running characteristic's of anything other than Sportmasters. It would be easy enough for you to drop it a little, see if you still are able to get it to the limiter, and see what your speeds are then. I'm gonna PM you.