Radio in XB 2003

Jessie

Where have you guys mounted your speakers in your boats? What are some inexpensive AM-FM/CD systems ( < $200 w speakers ) ? Pics of your installations would be great.

rmills280

i mounted two bookshelf type indood-outdoor speakers in my 03,under the front deck, they sound pretty good and when your beached you can open the front hatch to let the sounds out. been there for 7 years with no troubles. bass pro and boaters world both have water resistant radios for under $200.
Roger ps no cutting big holes needed

Last edited:

GotMyAlly

I pondered that question for 3 yrs before I finally found the solution I was looking for. I bought a kit from bass pro that has an amp, a couple of marine speakers, and a remote volume control. I found a box at walmart to mount the speakers in that fits under the dash in front of the lip in the floor. The box cost about $20 and already had a couple of cheap speakers in it. I left those speakers in it for now but when they go out I'm going to mount the marine speakers in it. The amp is small and I've got it in the glove box. All I have on my dash is a volume knob and a receptacle to plug in my MP3 player. The kit I got from BPS has a 2 chnl 100 watt amp, but they make a 4 channel 200 watt that can be rigged the same way with an external volume control and line level inputs.

With the box under the dash housing the speakers, I can just unclip the speaker wires and pull the box out if I don't plan to use it and it doesn't add any appreciable amount of weight to the boat.

Here's some pics of mine.....keep in mind the pics were taken before I cleaned up after the installation:

merc2five

i mounted two bookshelf type indood-outdoor speakers in my 03,under the front deck, they sound pretty good and when your beached you can open the front hatch to let the sounds out. been there for 7 years with no troubles. bass pro and boaters world both have water resistant radios for under $200.
Roger ps no cutting big holes needed
I got those type also. Just haven't decided on how I'm gunna mount the radio yet. Ain't gunna cut no big holes though. Was worried about the antenna mounting but was told I could mount it horizontal above the steeing rack under the console w/o any reception loss.

Texan

I mounted my radio in the dashboard underneath the depth finder, like mha shows in his last picture. The radio isn't any special marine radio, but a decent Clarion AM/FM/CD player with detachable faceplate and remote. Speakers are Pioneer deck mount, three way units that I set underneath the front deck. I've got enough speaker wire to pull out and place them up above, on top of the front deck in case we ever run out to party cove. The antenna isn't mounted anywhere. I strung the cable to the side compartment and positioned one of those short, rubberized antenna's in there. Along side of it is the hook ups for my XM unit. The XM antenna is underneath the front console, right next to my GPS receiver for my speedometer. The only hole I cut was for the radio itself. No cuts for the speakers or anything else.