Questions on keel guard

Kruton

Im in the market for a keel guard for my 03. My boat is red so id like to find a company thats makes them in red. I looked at hambys but they dont make them in red. I also see they come in different lengths. Is there a length that works good on a 03 hull? The boat will be beached on a island and launched by myself sometimes.

BigRedAlli

Kruton,
I've got a 6ft black Hamby on my red xb2003. Actualy looks great, but I have black tip's on mine.

If you change your mind about the Hamby, let me know. I've got an extra one. ;)

jimmyb

i put a black keel shield on my red and black xb2003 looks great...

honestly, i think it would be very hard for you to match the color of the red keel guard to your hull. Red is a very funny color and there are so many different shades and hues and they clash pretty bad... trust me, i used to work at Pierce manufacturing (building firetrucks) and they had litterally 1000's of different reds for firetrucks!

Kruton

I didnt think about the different reds clashing. Id like to see a pic of a red ally with a black keel guard. Thanks Bigred,ill PM you about the Hamby if I go with the black.

mwr

Anyone had one on an SS 2000? If so, did it effect the handeling?

whipper

I bought a white Keel guard for my GSE, never put it on yet mind you. I started a thread before I bought mine and asked the same Q about hook and handling. Every one said it never effected the way she layed down after a run. I would,just guessing think that it would be fine to better because the Bow on my GS and the bow on your SS is sharper with out it. Therefore I think that with the guard there and the ridges that run down the guard would deflect the water more than dig in like the bow does when ya hook. Every one said the same thing never had any handling isues at all. At speed its not in the water and comming off its not in the water very much. At rest on my hull it would be a foot or so in the water. If it ever warmes up enough Ill put it on and give ya a real world account.But thats the way I figured it. James

mtolley

on an allison, whats the correct length to use? would like to put one on my boat as we park on the beach everyday at the lake when were there. mt

ALLISONMAN

i have a hambys brand new for a 2003 also for sale!!! it is one that i bought from marty just never installed it on my boat

ImbadBob

I put a 6 foot keelgaurd on my 2003. The two reds matched very well and still do after 10 years. The 3M bonding tape used to attach the keelgaurd has proven to be very strong and durable. Later Bob

mwr

Thanks James. Let me know when you put the guard on the GS. I want one but am just a little skeptical until I talk to someone who has run one on a GS or SS. Also, what length are you using on the GS or SS?

Last edited:

whipper

MWR,most of the hulls are very similar.It was recommended 6 ft also.There really isn't that much in the water they start below the bow eye. When ya pull an Allison up on the sand the keel guard just makes it. I measured were mine would be and on my boatmate trailer just behind the front roller like 3 inches behind. I had to drill new holes for my front roller so it wouldn't touch.Lowered it about an inch. I figured I would run the GS threw the summer and see if I got any nicks before I installed the guard. So far so good? So I really don't know if I will ever put the darn thing on or not.As soon as I get a rub mark or a nick its going on. James

mwr

Thanks James. It seems like the thang to do as I am usually by myself when I go to the lake.