Push to choke?

I/O to O/B

So this is further to my post below re: rough idle and stumble/crap up to 3000 rpm. My buddy suggested I check to make sure the choke is not on all the time. I can still push the button in with the key, but the interesting thing is that when it is idling and I push in the choke And hold it there it makes zero difference on the idle. Sounds exactly the same (crap). So I'm asking could this be the problem? I assume the choke button is electronic and not mechanical so I suppose it could be stuck on even though I can still push in the button. A constant choke would explain the symptoms I think. Any thoughts? Where would I get a replacement choke for this Ally unit? Thanks.

Bobalouie

Not sure what motor you have, but on my 280, when you push the choke button with the ignition on, but the motor off, you can hear it buzz. Its pretty loud, you cant miss it. If your fuel pump comes on when you key on, you might pull the fuse on the pump. On my boat the pump might make it difficult to hear unless you were back there at the engine. If I remember correctly, it only buzzes the top injector.

GrandLakeGAR

I may be all wet but I think the ECM controls the cold start fuel and idle settings based on input from the air and head temp sensors on the FI engines. The push to choke key switch never did any thing that I remember on my 97 225PM and 2000 280 and my 225X service manual has no reference to a choke system. I have carb motor on a pontoon and the push to choke activates a primer solenoid on it.

whipper

You should make a short video of the sound your motor is making at idle. To low of idle sounds differant than even 50rpm more. I have to choke my promax on cold start just for a second fires first time instantly this way. Mine would not make a differance if i choked the key switch while running. Not even shure it works when running? Ive tryed that to see before I recall. i would find it awfull hard to think thats your problem. Hearing the motor might reveil an awfull lot to some of the more experianced engine guys on hear though. If your butterflys are open a little at idle that might not be good. Link and sink done? Timming, TPS out a hair. Lets hear it run.:beer:

I/O to O/B

It sounds like nails on a blackboard, to me. Totally bogged down until it winds up to about 3500 then she let's out and runs well. Ill try to get a video next weekend. Thanks guys.