Pulled the spark plug threads on #3

brotherxb03

I ran my boat for the 3rd time in 7 months to get the cobwebs out. Had a bad miss,so I pulled the plugs to read before changing the pack's and it kept turning. Threads came out on the plug in one piece. Had to pull the head for a heli coil. Always something.

whipper

That sucks! I stripped a head bolt and tapping it worked. What do you do with a spark plug hole that the threads come out of? Do ya have to replace the head?

whipper

Looks interesting but not sure I would trust it? Heads can be had for 100 bucks or so some times. Personally if those were my only option I might just spend a little more and put on a differant set of heads.

msharp

The Helicoil works well ! like in sparkplug holes that get used often, they are better than the Aluminum threads !! IMHO

Allyfishing

Hey Gary... I like that one better!! I have to get me one of those kits to repair a hole where the divider plate bolts on top of block. :beer:

SLOmofo

Timesert kits arn't cheep. Butt they are better in the long run. Heli-Coils if installed properly still sometimes come out. Plus their only a coil of threads, I've been known to screw them up during the process.

J

John Richied

Timesert kits arn't cheep. Butt they are better in the long run. Heli-Coils if installed properly still sometimes come out. Plus their only a coil of threads, I've been known to screw them up during the process.
This IS the voice of experience… Heli-Coils in most cases are a temporary fix.

I would listen to Gary this time for sure. :big grin

msharp

The Heli Coil kit for sparkplug ports are inserts ,not just coils of threads . Those were not very good for much in and out , such as plugs, But the one's for plug ports , I haven't had any problems .

msharp

Yes they are , as any INSERT , but for the do it yourself guy , he could buy a used head for the cost of the Timesert kit . If he was going to do ALOT of thread repair .......