propshaft rotation??!

I/O to O/B

I'm running an 03 with a 225PM. My mechanic warned me that the gears in my lower unit, a coned CLE, didn't look great. So I purchased a used set off a fellow on S and F. The gears look to be in pretty good shape, but my mechanic tells me they are cut in the opposite direction to my original gears. I emailed the seller, and he says they are not counter-rotating, which I assume means right handed. So, I'm thinking maybe my original gears are counter-rotating. Would/should that be the case on a single engine set-up on my Allison? Is this done by some us? If so, am I possibly running the wrong prop since I'm sure all the ones I have are RH? Maybe I'm just clueless...

GotMyAlly

I think you got shafted.

Just about every single engine pleasure boat runs right-hand rotation propellers.

B HEBERT

If you are running a right hand prop on a counter rotating lower unit, when you put it in forward you would go backwards.

BGohr

If you are saying the spiral of the gears is cut the opposite way those are gears for an old pin load V6 and are in no way for your gearcase. I they were counter rotating gears they would look nothing like you had, the gear located in the front of the GC would have a needle bearing in it, and the back gear would n ot even resemble yours............

Like someone else said.

msethsmile

Funny Guy
I am pretty sure the propshaft turns in the same direction as the prop.