Promax Sport 225 rebuilds

Foxy

Anyone know of a reputable engine rebuilder. Near SC would be great but southeast would be acceptable. Any feedback on rebuilds from JACO in Tenn.?
My immediate area is devoid of good outboard mechanics.

patches

Where are you? There's quite a few guys on the boards from South Carolina that could probably steer you in the right direction

DXDY freak

I`m located in Seneca SC. This is in the upstate area
Can't go wrong with JSRE. Maybe have to spend a little to ship to Texas, but you'll be more than pleased. Jay's done my 260 and 225PM, all you have to do when he's done is mount, plug in electrical and gas, Then turn the key. Kurt

boater777777

I read an article in BWB last year praising what Paul Nichols could do to a pro max

1FASTALLI

I just had my 1999 Mercury 225 Pro Max Sport done by Jay at JSRE. All I can say is WOW!!!!!! This thing has so much pep!!!!!!! I still have about 50 more gallons of gas to go thru be for I can open it up. Jay did some mods inside my motor. He also did some cleaning up inside of my motor too. It is running so much cooler then my old motor. It run around 125 to 135 in the temp. range when it is running. I ship it thru Con-Way freight it cost me about $650.00 round trip from Fresno Ca. All I can say is I am very happy with JSRE!!!!!!! Thanks Jay

Attachments

Last edited:

Allyfishing

1FASTALLY...that looks awesome....all I can say is with a motor like that why not have the SVS on the front instead of the ACU! Tony's stuff was born out of the need for more performance on a 225 Promax. The SVS will pick up 20+ more HP and 3-5MPH. I read an article where the SVS was disconnected on a test 225PM after some light mods at the linkage and lost 5MPH top end. Proved it worked. Nice motor!! :beer:

catfish123

I had never heard before that the SVS helped on top end. I had always heard the mid range punch, etc, was improved by it but not much if anything on the top end. Just what I had heard though, no first hand experience here with it.

K.Kiser

The SVS is an excellent front end, but there are also some terribly quick boats out there that still use the Lazer front...

Allyfishing

I found the article I was referring to when I stated that it lost 5 MPH when the SVS was disconnected. It was actually 4 MPH. You are correct though, it is for midrange punch for sure. At the risk of really showing my ignorance and lack of knowledge (I admit it) what is the Laser front? I am a newbie and not a mechanic, just read alot.

K.Kiser

The lazer front is the factory 200/225 injection and is a deceivingly quick piece of hardware to be factory fishing equipment...

bringit

i use mike clemmons at outback ouboards,knows race engines knowledgable too.

bringit

yeahhe does,and i cant remember there names,he is odba engine tech