Promax bearings

Lotus 50

A friend of mine suggests I have my 225 PM bearings changed. Plastic to steel. Is this the crank bearings? What is the problem with plastic?

I assume the actual bearings are hardened steel ball bearings. Did Merc use a plastic carrier in some engines and a steel carrier in others?

The seller told me that the rev limiter is 7000 if it matters.

Dave Hensley

The rod bearings in the ProMax had plastic cages. Tip is to replace with Merc HP steel caged bearings like a 260/280/300 had. Cheap insurance. I would change the rod bolts while I was at it.

racerx

Plastic bearings are bad if you over heat the motor...

hirk

David I wouldnt take it down just to change them but if you have it apart then for sure, i don't think the failure rate is remotely close to the ring pins with plastic cages but it would eliminate that possiblity.

Dave Hensley

I agree. There is always the possibility of inducing failure with a rebuild. If the motor is on a rev limiter I would not think another thought about the bearings. Rpm's kill bearings and locating pins.

Lotus 50

Bad water pump. It was advertised as having a new water pump. Go figure. Other than that, the motor has been great.

I won't put on many hours at high rpm. I think I'll run it another year as is and then think again next fall.

fasterbass

I reccomend the race rod brgs from pro marine . Call jay smith and get the sps bolts and top pin while you got it down.good advice and good insurance .I use jay because the rodcaps have to be machined back just a touch because the sps bolts have a one size larger head.end cap wrist pins also keep from losing bottom end charge through the pin,just a thought.Lee

Last edited:

mtolley

u can get eithr the sps or arp high performance rod bolts from pro marine. have used both, no issues with either. the arp are @ $8 cheaper than the sps per bolt. just tore down a '95 200 promax and it had metal caged rod bearings,albeit no the beefier caged hipo units. my '94 200 efi was the same way. the newer style hipo bearings cage is physically not the same as the old ones, and there was rumored failure with them a few years ago. i never personally saw one of the failed units

dragmerc

pretty sure the race bearings from pro are merc's race bearings. whatever you do, don't use pro's stock metal caged bearings. i've seen the cages break.

mtolley

Yea, when you order the 514r bearing, they arrive in a merc box. Got six in yesterday for a build

suicidealli

Yep Merc bearings, and the mods to the rod caps are simple to receive the big rod bolts. I do it to everyone I build. Can't get SPS bolts anymore, so we use ARP. I also wouldn't waste your money top pining your used pistons. Buy a set of vertex.

Roy