pro et

robert

Has the Pro ET problem been solved about slinging blades?
Did these props only sling a blade if the blades were surficing?

Allyfishing

robert, call this guy at Mercury Racing: Scott Reichow (920) 924-2037

I spoke to him about Mercury props a year ago before i bought my Pro ET and he assured me that the "blade slinging" had been solved. A casting flaw was the reason.

He may also be able to answer your question on the other post on the serial number?

Craig

GotMyAlly

If you're dead set on that type of prop......and I don't think it's right for a 21, but if you want an over-hub prop.........I'd start with a Performer and have it cut down if you want the blade profile changed. I think that would be the path to a prop that wouldn't sling blades if you surfaced it. Because let's face it, you've got an allison.....you're gonna surface the prop at some point.

The Whip

I just checked the Mercury performance web site and that Pro ET 4 blade looks nice.
I wonder how the 28p or 30p 4 blade would carry my boat.
Manny
BasSport Pro
300XS

Allyfishing

Where's Bryan (Allisonman) when ya need him. Actually Manny, he told me at the rally last year that he and Glenn Reynolds had done a lot of testing with great results on the Allisons with the 300 and a Pro ET.

Maybe he'll see this and explain in greater detail.

The Whip

From the pic on the web site I do not see PVS.

Please Bryan (Allisonman) share with us any news you have on the Pro ET.

Manny
BasSport Pro
300XS

ALLISONMAN

pro et's are great props on heavier bullets and allisons with the big torque motors!! the holeshot is super quick, carry weight great and still run great top-end numbers!! the blade slinging was an issue but the later props have been doing alot better!!! call glenn and he can get ya set up with the right pitch and prop for ya boat!! 865-882-9623

Allyfishing

I received a call back from Scott Reichow of Mercury Racing Propellers and here is his advice on checking for the newer thicker blades. For the year 2010 props look for serials ending with the letters "LIL" or "LIS" and for the year 2011 props look for the serials ending in "LLS" or "LLL".

Serials ending other than those above are from the thinner blades that were more prone to breaking.
:big grin

whipper

I received a call back from Scott Reichow of Mercury Racing Propellers and here is his advice on checking for the newer thicker blades. For the year 2010 props look for serials ending with the letters "LIL" or "LIS" and for the year 2011 props look for the serials ending in "LLS" or "LLL".

Serials ending other than those above are from the thinner blades that were more prone to breaking.
:big grin

Good to know thanks!!

allison8503

I have a question for the guys that have slung blades off of these props? What gear ratio's are y'all running on your motors?

Allyfishing

Ahhhh...are ya thinking that may have something to do with the slinging??

Bill at the plant mentioned to me that one of the causes is throwing a real high rooster tail with too much trim at certain times while running that makes the blades slap real hard when re-entering the water. I think that's how he said it.

allison8503

Well it was just something that I was thinking about. You have a heavier boat that is surfacing the prop and if you do the math on let's say a 30 pitch prop on a 1.87 gear at 6500 and the same prop at the same rpm but on a 1.62 gear the prop mph is way higher. So how much more stress is put on the blade on re-Entery from let's say 1.87 gears at 200 mph prop speed to 250 mph prop speed with a 1.62. Those aren't the real numbers just a example.

Allyfishing

Hmmm...interesting. No idea!! LOL!! I have never slung a blade but if I do I hope I'll know exactly the time it happens so I can make a mental note of what was going on at the time such as speed, trim engine height etc.

I do remember when Todd cracked the blade on his new prototype prop while out in Ohio prop testing. He was driving and I was the passenger in my boat and all was well until he turned around to make a run back when he hammered it and he felt something wrong and stopped. That's when he trimmed up and saw one blade cracked most of the way. He later noticed a flaw in the cast at the origin of the crack.