Power recommendations GS

Baxter0808

Hey everyone,
So im having the absolute worst luck with rebuilding my current motor, its one thing after the other and I'm basically fed up.
I either need a new Sportmaster and powerhead, or just a whole engine to ease my pain.
I deal with a fair bit of chop so I'm not trying to do 100mph, 80 is plenty. I want my GS to jump out the hole and good response. Fuel consumption isn't my biggest concern but better doesn't hurt..

Let's hear recommendations, and even if anyone has a connection to where I can get what I need from a reliable source. Whether I buy it in good shop or have someone rebuild for me.17607

aj06bolt12r

If your happy with 80 I would be strongly considering a 175 pro XS Optimax. Should be capable of over 80 once properly set up and get incredible fuel mileage and reliability on that rig. Gorgeous boat by the way.

Baxter0808

was getting the 225 promax idea pushed at me.
What kind of setback would be good with the 175proxs?

Baxter0808

I've also been trying to keep my 15inch mid. but from everyone's experience, should I really be that concerned if I have to switch to 20inch?

Rick Propst

as long as you are aware of the water could wash over you will be fine plenty of people are running 15" motors on them i was worried about mine as well but i have not had any problems

GotMyAlly

At 80, you're not going to see any speed or handling differences between the 15 or 20 inch mid.

As much as I like the promaxes, they're getting a little long in the tooth. I'd be leery about buying one of that age unless I knew the seller really well.

Baxter0808

At 80, you're not going to see any speed or handling differences between the 15 or 20 inch mid.

As much as I like the promaxes, they're getting a little long in the tooth. I'd be leery about buying one of that age unless I knew the seller really well.
Appreciate this advice greatly!
Starting to get the itch to just say forget this whole motor and find something turn key.

resqu-u

There's a lot of knowledge on here to help troubleshoot your 200. They are reliable and fast enough motors when set up stock. I've ran a 15" mid for years and have never had a problem. If you just give up my recommendation for new power would be a new 150 pro XS. Cone the lower and run 80 all day sipping gas.

Baxter0808

Well guys I went and bought a low hour 260 and am going to bolt it up to my 15 mid.
Curious about anyones experience with different lower units, I have my 1.87 SM but would you lot recommend something different? stock coned? TM coned?