Power Dilemma - Seeking advice

Kmack

I recently picked up two boats which had somewhat been abandoned by their owners. I have $3500 in the pair.

First is an '88 XTB 21 with an 87 Suzuki DT200 (may be seen in the restorations forum). Second is an '88 Ranger 363v with an '87 Mercury 175 BM.

The Merc on the Ranger has just had the power head rebuilt. The Suzuki I know nothing about other than it runs.

I begrudgingly took the Ranger and was excited to get the XTB.

Here's the dilemma. What is the optimum motor for the XTB?

I had a '90 model way back when with a Mariner 150 MagII. I always felt underpowered even though top speed was high 70's.

The 4 options I see are:

Leave the zuke and run it till she blows.

Swap between the two boats.

Swap between the two and mod the 2.4l

Or, buy a rebuilt motor (a 2.4 or 2.5 I assume).

The ideal motor for me would be a 2.4l race motor which will not require frequent work.

What do you all think the perfect motor for the XTB is and where would you look for it?

Derrick

get a stock carb 2.5 200 powerhead, replaced the reeds, remove the oil injection, cut the heads, put good gas in it and run the crap out of it

skewby

225 promax on the xtb then prop it how you want it run. small prop it will be a rocket out of the hole or put a big prop on it and you could run high 80's maybe low 90's

Mrbuck50

225 promax is definitely what you want. keep it stock and it will be reliable. Prop it correctly and run the boat light.......mid 90's

Kmack

Looks like consensus is repower with something other than what I have. I know the bigger options are available new but the 2.5l options aren't. I live near Wichita Ks. So where might I look for a good Pro Max or 200hp 2.5l?

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Depends on if you want to spend money or not. :) Put the Merc on the Allison and go fishing.

Kmack

We've touched on all the options but leaving the Suzuki on there. I haven't run it yet but it seems OK. When you guys talk about putting a 3.0l on back, it makes the Suzuki sound like a viable option too.

At 2.8l, 450 #, it falls right between the 2.5l and 3.0l. I don't know if there is anything that can be done to up the 200hp but maybe 200 is enough. I think it's 1.86 gears.

I will say that the price of a new 3.0l would get me upside down if I decide to sell. The Pro Max puts me near the max and you know the downsides of the old, used motors.

I really appreciate all the input.

Kmack

I'd be afraid the Suzi Lu would grenade when surfaced.

Buy a clean used 2.4/2.5 200 and run it
Good point. I had not considered this but I am aware they have lots of cosmetic/corrosion issues with the lower units. Mine shows signs of issues also. Paint peeling, skeg cover, etc.

Lotus 50

I would run the Suzuki until it breaks. Get low water pick ups, but run it buried to help gear case life except when running fast.

Kmack

I would run the Suzuki until it breaks. Get low water pick ups, but run it buried to help gear case life except when running fast.
I owned an XTB that I bought new in 1990. It had a 150 hp Mariner Mag II.

On that boat, you couldn't even get it up on the pad until the center of the prop shaft was about even with the pad. Much lower and the boat was a turd to drive.

I'm not sure burying it would be much fun...lol. But I do intend to try it with the Suzuki before I buy something else.

Right now I'm planning to budget for new power, just in case. I'm trying to figure out how much that is...

I'm thinking $3000 to use one of my motors, $7500-$10000 for 2.5l and $15000-$20000 for 3.0l.

I'm leaning 225 Pro Max at this point.

Kmack

I wish I was ready to buy today but I'm not. I am currently having glass work done to undo some things previous owners had thought were improvements.

I have new panels, switches, carpet, and latches ready to install immediately thereafter. Beyond that I plan to buy seats, get the trailer back to fully functional and buy a cover.

My goal is to put the boat on the water next spring.

As much as I would like to do it, common sense says I should at least see how it works with the Suzuki before I spend on a motor.

I do intend to have funds ready at that time so that I can act quickly if another opportunity, like your 225 X, comes available.

Darth VMAX

Get a 3.0 liter. You wont regret it!
B
Looks like consensus is repower with something other than what I have. I know the bigger options are available new but the 2.5l options aren't. I live near Wichita Ks. So where might I look for a good Pro Max or 200hp 2.5l?
Welcome! I live in Rose Hill. I have an XB2002 with a warm Yammie on it. Glad to see another Allison on the area.

Don't waste time with the Suzuki... Go check out Wayne Worthy in Nixa if your open to other options than the Merc. It's your closest HP motor dealer to us.

Kmack

B

Welcome! I live in Rose Hill. I have an XB2002 with a warm Yammie on it. Glad to see another Allison on the area.

Don't waste time with the Suzuki... Go check out Wayne Worthy in Nixa if your open to other options than the Merc. It's your closest HP motor dealer to us.

Nice to meet you Darth, I lived outside of Rose Hill for a while and my father and a sister lives there currently.

I have been explaining prices and options power wise to my wife as we try to determine a plan.

We are looking at retirement hopefully in the next 5 years to either TableRock or Beaver. This boat will be my Play and crappie fishing boat, the Ranger when I want to stand and fish.

I have been leaning toward older/lighter power at less money and she is pushing me toward new.

Right now, the 250 ProXS and the 250 VMAX SHO are the two options I am considering.

When I had my other XTB (early 90's), I don't think I ever saw another Allison around here except at the boat drags which used to come to town.

I'll PM you later (at work now) and maybe we can exchange formal introductions. It's always nice to meet someone who shares some of your interests.