POV Cam?

Alli-drenaline Rush

Can't decide between GoPro Hero 4 Black and yet-to-be-released Sony FDR-X1000V. Both shoot 4K (ultra HD), GoPro 3 oz, Sony 4 oz. Both can shoot 1080p at 120 fps. Sony has GPS, Steady Shot built in. GoPro image stabilization in post-production, no GPS. Sony $50 cheaper with Reward bucks....

No cheap comments about current post-production problems!

Allyfishing

Wait a minute there Richard..........didn't you tell me that you bought a brand new video camera a year ago or so to take video of the rally that year and for your daughters wedding???? And yes, GoPro does have some sort of GPS from what I read a while ago. Not sure about the 4 model though.

GotMyAlly

I am always impressed with the GoPro image stabilization. Sony may be just as good.....I've never used one. But the GoPro does a pretty dang good job of it.

Is the Sony waterproof too?

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Richard, I may have lost the link. Where are the videos you took last year or the year before? Seems like you had a lot of material but I don't remember seeing it.

Alli-drenaline Rush

Richard, I may have lost the link. Where are the videos you took last year or the year before? Seems like you had a lot of material but I don't remember seeing it.
Dave you're killing me! Did you not see the last line of my post. LOL

"No cheap comments about current post-production problems!"

Alli-drenaline Rush

I am always impressed with the GoPro image stabilization. Sony may be just as good.....I've never used one. But the GoPro does a pretty dang good job of it.

Is the Sony waterproof too?
Sony is water-proof to 34'..... more with the dive housing (200' I think)...

Sony has the Carl Zeiss lens too....

Last edited:

Alli-drenaline Rush

Wait a minute there Richard..........didn't you tell me that you bought a brand new video camera a year ago or so to take video of the rally that year and for your daughters wedding???? And yes, GoPro does have some sort of GPS from what I read a while ago. Not sure about the 4 model though.
Somebody commented that my video quality went down dramatically as soon as I got an A-bote! Looking to re-capture quality whilst driving the boat!

Somebody with a teal and white XB03!

catfish123

Yeah, the acorn don't fall far from the tree.................lol

GotMyAlly

Speaking of Acorn......anybody see Obongo's state of the union speech last Nite??? What a butt hole!!!! The most arrogant bastard I have ever seen in my entire life!!!!

Couldn't bring myself to watch it. I went out to dinner and had a fat juicy slab of bloody beef and a tall dark beer. I woulda just got pissed off and kicked another TV off the wall if I had stayed home to watch it.

Alli-drenaline Rush

Speaking of Acorn......anybody see Obongo's state of the union speech last Nite??? What a butt hole!!!! The most arrogant bastard I have ever seen in my entire life!!!!
The definition of insanity - doing the same thing over and over - and expecting a different result! Same old trope 6 years running...

Alli-drenaline Rush

Couldn't bring myself to watch it. I went out to dinner and had a fat juicy slab of bloody beef and a tall dark beer. I woulda just got pissed off and kicked another TV off the wall if I had stayed home to watch it.
The first four paragraphs of this article encapsulate why I didn't watch Dear Leaders' SOTU address.

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/why-obama-fails-12078

Someone asked a panel of historians whether Obama would be judged by history as a good or bad President. The response was, "the question that will be debated 40 years from now is not whether he was a good or bad President, but rather 'how did he get elected in the first place?'."

allimax

As far as the camera goes, I can't speak as to what is the better buy but I will say I found out last summer how cool they really are. My son bought the Go Pro to use to make video driving the fire truck through traffic, chasing into burning buildings, car wrecks, etc. He's put some real cool video together, put music to it and the decided it may not be a good idea to have all this with faces on you tube. Anyway, we got the idea to mount the Go Pro on the line pole I have and try to get some footage of the Allison coming up on the pad. The idea was good but with the pole 10' out from the boat it was too much to hold after about 60 and it slid down the side and around to the rear. I guess I haven't been bugging him enough to get something put together but I did take a few shots of his Mac screen last summer as we were looking at the footage from going out day one. You can get the idea.
This was a week after Labor Day so the big boat traffic was gone and the lake had cleared up quite a bit so the other idea we came up with was to turn the camera around and stick it down in the water to see what the structure looked like we had been catching fish around but to also get footage of pulling some fish in with the under water view from 5-10 foot down. It's a really cool tool. I'll post a video if I can ever get it edited and put together.