plugs

John S

Two quick questions. Can the iridium (17 @#$%^ dollar) plugs be subbed with the platinums? And why is there so much carbon on mine (not fouled, carboned)

Thanks-John S

GPI Racing

John,

Be careful if you choose to switch plugs. I did that once and the engine hated me for it. (it barely ran)Those darn Opti's KNOW! :eek: I was told by my service rep that it is one of the number one things he has to deal with. I would think the Iridium plug of the same type would work but be prepared to spend the cash ans not have it work, hence having some expencive plugs on the bench.

Randy

fishnfireman

Some local Parts stores can order that plug for about half of that $18.00
Advance A.P. has gotten me some, they also have a lifetime warranty on them.
But the last set I got-- The store manager siad they would not be replacing anymore unless it was a factory defect.

John S

Thanks Randy and fishnfireman. I guess Ill try NAPA, they usually treat me good. Im still confused as to why these plugs are so carboned. After breakin (5 hrs), plugs had a nice brown to them. Now at about 15 hrs, right after getting off the water, they were black- not wet like theyre fouled, just black. With nothing being adjustable, what is the cpu doing? Would it benefit me to get that hand held deal to see whats up? Im sure the gas is good, so what up? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks-John S

jimmyb

some carbon build up is normal on the optis after idling for a while. Try a high speed shut down and you will most likely find the plugs are shiney new again!