Plant visit Friday June 17, 2011

etnprop

Thanks for your patience as we work on details for the Knoxville Ally Rally 2011. Complete info is coming soon but I do have some items to share regarding the plant visit on Friday.

We will visit the plant on Friday afternoon this year. For those of you that are coming in late or maybe just for the day this will allow you to attend. We will do a cookout in the afternoon at Louisville Point Park and there will be time to take a boat ride for those interested.

The big change that I'm really excited about is that we will have a "seminar" styled meeting at the plant. Darris Allison has agreed to discuss current items of interest to him as well as take questions from those in attendance on whatever is on your mind regarding Allison boats, high performance driving tips, whatever you've got. For those of you in attendance last year you know how interesting and informative this can be and we've decided to expand on that format for 2011.

We will develop a list of questions from the group in advance in order to cover as many topics as possible so be thinking about what you want to discuss and we'll work our list later. We will also need a list of attendees in order to have seating for everyone but we have plenty of time... just wanted to share what I've got so far. More to come soon. Joe

Allyfishing

Oh boy Joe!!! I'm bettn we can all come up with enough questions to keep Mr. Allison talking for a week!! LOL!! At least from rookies like me. This is great Joe...thanks for taking this on and coming up with the game plan. I'm telln ya at one point while Mr. Allison was talkn tech we were all so riveted to his words ya could have heard a mouse fart!!

Anything I can do to help let me know.

biller31

I need to get some scratches took out of the pad by now again I'm sure so I'll be there a couple hours early as usual. :)

Allyfishing

Hey Ben......here's the new boat lift the Allisons installed last year!! Your boat was the first being tested on it. I hope it is still holding up for this year cuz I have a few too I need taken care of.

And just to get people interested in the Rally I figured I would throw a few more out there.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really appreciate the pics. Timing is great! Once again we are in the middle of a winter storm with ice & snow. Are there any jobs down South?

IRONBLOCK

First question; who eats all those 'maters staked up out front of the Allison plant?

No really, if I do buy a preowned XB-21 BSP, can I get the new dash installed for an HDS8 Lowrance? How about the bow unit (iped)?

If someone were to buy a brand new XB-21 would they be able to order a brand new one that is all red with black wings like the old 2002's and 2003's?

The Ranger is gone and I need a "fish fix"!

Bobalouie

Word has it that the pedestal bow electronics stand is not able to be retrofitted to previous models. Dont know about the dash.

Allyfishing

First question; who eats all those 'maters staked up out front of the Allison plant?

No really, if I do buy a preowned XB-21 BSP, can I get the new dash installed for an HDS8 Lowrance? How about the bow unit (iped)?

If someone were to buy a brand new XB-21 would they be able to order a brand new one that is all red with black wings like the old 2002's and 2003's?

My advice to you is a "ROAD TRIP"!!!!!! To the Allison plant. Can't be that far from Georgia?? You may as well take your check book, too. It's addictive.

Allyfishing

Hey Joe....how about starting a post or something for us to direct questions to as you stated in the beginning of this post.

Unimog

I'm afraid the answer is no to all your questions.

Alli-drenaline Rush

I've been collecting a list of questions - here is what I have so far......

Questions for Merc techies and gear-heads:

• With respect to dry-stacking, I understand that water temp is controlled by the use of restriction orifices of various diameters that regulate the water flow depending on the lake water temp... has anyone developed any correlations (rules of thumb) for the orifice sizes needed for specific water temps for various motors?
• Would you recommend dry-stacking for a fishing motor, or is it only for a motor that makes 1/4 mile runs?
• Are there any limitations or "gotchas" with respect to dry-stacking?
• How to pre-lube bearings, wrist pins, pistons, rings
• Can a drag powerhead sit on top of an EFI Sport can? What mods need to be put in place?
• What is the difference between a drag mid and a 280ss mid?
• Any issues with shifting into or out of gear while the motor is running, or should I start the motor in gear?
• Does anyone write off drag-racing costs?
• Suicidealli - what kind if mileage do you get with your 2.5 245 on the 2002?
• What is your procedure for mixing oil and gas?
• How high does the propshaft run relative to the pad on an XB2002 with a 20" motor?
• Can you properly break-in a 2.5 and learn how to drive an XB2002 at the same time?
• What's the difference between a '97 drag powerhead and a 2011 drag powerhead?
• Heard from racers that if you hammer it you can get 60 runs. What is the lifespan of the motor if you "hammer it" to a 9k rpm limit? 8.25k rpm limit?
• What should be done to prepare a 2.5 for an initial start-up after 8 years in storage from the Mercury factory?
• Where to buy 5 gal gas jugs like that which you see at the DSRA races?
• Who in the Texas area provides boaters insurance for XR-2001 drivers (I have one contact in the SE Texas area, looking for additional contacts). Anyone insured through State Farm?
• How to tell if nic is still good?
• How to tell if pistons are stil good at re-ring?
• How to tell a rich condition from a lean one, and how to tell when you are approaching the cliff.....
• With what do you coat the bores, pistons, rings, wrist pins, etc when you re-ring?
• What kind of break-in do you go through after the re-ring?

Questions for Darris Allison:

• Are there any technical reasons why you can't run a 280 on an XB21 2+2?
•. What is the maximum design power for an XB21?
• Does Allison still make a tournament model XB2002? BassRacer?
• Is Allison Boats willing to put a dataplate on an XB21 2+2 that allows me to run a 2.5 EFI Sport motor on the boat? Same Q for BassRacer?
• How high can a 280 with 20" shaft and SM gearcase be run on an XB21? On an XB2002? On an XR-2001? (assume new boats in all cases) Any undue stresses on the transom?
• If you start with a 2.5L 280 on an XB21, any motor mounting issues if the 2.5 is later transferred to an XR2001 and a 3.0 L motor is hung on the XB21?
• Can you get a custom steering wheel installed on an XB21 2+2 to improve the view of the panel (i.e. make it easier to see the full GPS screen)? Any thoughts on the use of a tilt steering wheel for an XB21 to improve the view of the GPS in the 2+2 panel?
• What is the maximum recommended speed for the XB-21 2+2? Has anyone ever hooked an XB21 2+2? Other XBs for that matter?
• How does the XB21 2+2 handle quartering waves, if you are coming out of a lead sled and transitioning into an XB?
• What is the maximum wave height that folks have been unfortunate enough to have been caught in if piloting an XB21? An XB2002?
• Can you detail the flotation that is built into the XB21, and in particular the XB21 2+2?
• Generally-speaking, how long does it take to get your boat from the date of order?
• Can you speak about Allison's ability or desire to fulfill custom color requests?
• Can you speak to the hull thickness of an XB-21 2+2 in the pad area relative to say a Ranger 521, i.e. the ability of the hull to resist compromise if the owner accidentally hits a stump at "moderate speeds." This question is based on an experience of hitting one stump at 10-15 mph coming off plane in 7 years of fishing Texas lakes.... my bad... piloted boat past my own self-imposed no-plane zone....
• Can you speak to the ability of the transom to resist compromise if the motor hits a stump "at speed" based on Allison engineering principles, construction techniques and owner feedback of real-world experiences?

• Does Allison have any guidelines for the maximum chop or "rogue wave" that can be sustained by a carbon-fiber XR? Of course the answer is predicated on boat speed, but any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated.
• How robust is the skid planer in terms of its ability to resist deformation if impacted by a stump coming off plane?
• How many seconds do you shave off the 0 - 30 mph time with and without the skid planer at a gross weight of X lbs?

Last edited:

Alli-drenaline Rush

you past your limits of guestions!!!! jus sayin...lol
roy
LOL! Roy you had better get ready, cuz half of those questions are for you!!!! Of course, you be "da man" when it comes to da 2.5........ ain't but a handful of guys with your level of experience and knowledge!