• Keep it

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • Ditch it

Votes: 14 42.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jon

Supporting Member
I looked around and there are very polar views on pinstripes. I wanted to start out this thread by saying "I like polls", but that isn't how you approach this crowd... no need to tee up the jokes!

Anyway, I had some scuffing and just rough spots in my pin striping, so I am going to either replace it, or leave it off. I hate washing around things, but I won't debadge the entire boat just because I'm lazy. I kind of like the look without, but dad and my wife like the stripes. Again, I have read a couple of threads about it, but looking at the pics of my boats and leaving your opinion about pin stripes aside, which do you like better?

If I do re-stripe it, who makes some good vinyl stripes?

Attachments

Jon

Supporting Member
Someone mentioned in another thread about the straight gelcoat lines on Allisons. Does anyone have a video or can explain how they do that? Hijacking my own thread.

racerx

If you leave them off you will see the old witness marks from the old stripe and you will never get it off..

whipper

It depends on how wide and colours ect... I like mine and I like the black and silver in yours. I think it looks great! I also like the natural look as well. If that fade spot on the drivers side is there keep em. Also White letters with red fade would look great as decals for your motor with a red swoosh.

Last edited:

catfish123

+1.............I would also just go with a black stripe.

Last edited:

GotMyAlly

I'm not a fan of the pin stripes. Not because of the way they look. I like the look in a lot of cases. What I don't like is the use of cheap pinstripe tape on a high end boat. If it were sealed into the mold......I'd be all for it.

catfish123

Yeah, I agree, however that would probably add another 5 grand to a boat that is already out of reach for most people.

Dave Hensley

Detest them and the tracks they leave behind. I agree they are cheap looking and the factory even splices them. Geeeeeesh.

suicidealli

I don't care for them. Like Dave said the trail they leave.. I had to put something back I over the trail. I went with tiny silver flames. Clear tape with the silver flames in it. it masked the trail, and just adds a little character. Besides I like flames. Lol I like having something different looking. I had big flames on the front of my old ss. That was just to break up all the yellow.

gmorgan

I'd leave them off for a few months and see what you think at that point. No use in being in a rush to make a decision when you don't have to.

hemi2005

I usually don't like pin stripes on boats or vehicles, but in this case the pin stripes help to make the other colors stand out (pop)...Just my .02...You can buy pin stripe tape at any auto paint supply shop.

Last edited:

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mixed emotions myself. When I got my boat I had to do some cleanup and wet sanded and buffed away any sign of the old pin stripes. I saw a couple boats at the rallys that had pin stripes with metallic sparkles and I thought they were really sharp. I planned on doing that to mine too. Well, I never did get around to doing that and I am happier than a speckled pup without them.

allimax

I really like the way it helps transition the colors but it really does make for more work. Allison has such a clean line most would never know the difference, besides, they'll only see it when she's on the trailer! Resend my vote, more drive time, less maintenance.

Jr in Jax

I had to get Jack to replace mine every year. He then talked me out of replacing them and it looks much better.