Pinkey--I'm blaming you !!

fishnfireman

You remember that thread we was talking about breaking props the other day..

Yes--I did !!! Broke that dang Pro ET---- GRRRRRR!!!
Found out you can change the prop on these new 21's from the back deck..In the middle of the lake.

We got caught about 15 miles from the boat ramp in some big ol rollers. Had about a mile run where they were about 5 foot high. Only way to run was by sticking the nose straight up in the air and keep it there. Otherwise you would just get wet and beat everything up.
Anyone who has ever done this knows it puts a big strain on the mtr and prop. Anyway we just took our time and eased on in...finaly got to some protected water..gave her some gas to kick her up on plane and -----pop -rattle-rattle-rattle-vibrate rattle..****..i think I know what that is..yep we now have a 3 blade ET.

i can't believe merc is unable to figure out what is wrong with there prop's.. Sounds like it is mostley the Trophy's and the ProET's

Look's like a call and or visit to see Froggy and Dave Bostic is in order.
I hear dave has a prop a whole lot like the Pro ET..only much more reliable than these newer props from Merc.

fishnfireman

Yes it was labbed and worked great for about a year.

Sad part is.... you can see a spot in the middle of the break....that looks like it was not right to start with.
It looks like there was an area which did not gel (for lack of a better term)
Makes you think there was a bubble of something else when they poured it.

R

Redding XB21

Did it have a crystralized look to it on the borken edge? If so, that was metal fatigue. Flexing over a period of time, or until El Pinko mentions it, will cause a sudden break.
Boy, I'm glad you guys are sorting out the props to ".stay away from".
It really sucks that we have to replace a prop that we ASSUME has been throughly tested by good old Mother Merc :mad:

fishnfireman

YES----- that's the one !!!!!

O-well can't say---I wasn't warned.
At least I found out ya can change a prop from the back deck without getting wet.

I do feel they have something wrong with the casting process. or the mixing.
All the props i have ever seen that had a fatigue crack were in the thinner part of the blade and most were on the leading edge.
This blade broke right up next to the barrel at it's thickest part. And the thinner, leading edge was the last part to let go..as it was bent from being flopped back and forth a couple of times before letting go......

biller31

Well then this oughta urinate you right off... I don't think it was John.... Cause the other boy I know that has one of these that I asked about it that had had his for over a year with no problemo on his 300x... called me and told me he just broke his 2 weeks ago after he'd talked about it's reliability with me. I know I probably should not have told this cause I'll not be talking props with anyone ever again for this admission but it was just too ironical to let go by without telling on myself. Sorry Mike... Sorry Sam... ;( When we get to the rally I'll buy ya'll both a beer and hopefully you'll forgive me.

fishnfireman

Ben,

I figure It's me who needs to be askin for forgivness.......after printing that statment about not breakin a prop in my whole adult life. I did not have any wood to knock on cept my head...Which I think has turned to stone... so it was I who caused that little black cloud to clabber up and start rainin Pro ET blades.

PS I think I found the secret to getting these boats to launch like they do when not loaded and at elevation.. Sure is making mine layover and go a LOT better with the bigger wheels.

Speakin of wheels...My next investment will be in a Hoss prop.

R

Redding XB21

Mr FFF,

What is your "find" about bringing these things out of the hole?
I've tried leaving Kieth on the dock, but then I just have to go back for him. Crap:mad

fishnfireman

I have tried several things with mixed results.
The one that has finaly seemed to work very well. is a twist on one of the suggestions Darris gave me to try on the skid plate.

I'll send you a PM >

biller31

I realize it may be much to ask but, PM me that info if you don't mind too so I don't hafta leave boataddict on the dock anymore.