Pimp my ride

MWest77

Hey guys! Looking to try to buff and wax the XTB. I read some really old posts on this subject. Just wondering what works best. The clear coat was done to the textured parts and now it looks like crap. Trying to figure out how to get that stuff out of there and get back to the original. What methods work for cleaning up the textured stuff?

ROBERT CROSS

When we first got the GSE I used 3M Hand Glaze 39007, looked almost like your photo.
I've also used Simple Green and a microfiber cloth with good results.
Do NOT use the SG on the vinyl though.....303 Protectant and Cleaner there.

A good coat of carnuba wax seems to help keep the crud from forming.

Bob

fnshrmaster

I had wax on the textured portions of my boat, used WD 40 to cut the old wax off then washed and used a spray finish wax on it. Paste wax is not the best for the texture portions.
If someone clear coated it, that's a whole different problem. Kurt

LakeAnna

If it does have clearcoat on it you can use Klean-strip #efs459. This is a base/clearcoat remover in a aerosol can. shot it and in about a minute you can wipe it clean. Just know that under the clear the gel has been sanded (or should have been anyway).

Good luck... a little time and you'll have it like you want.

Ocktane

I know for a fact that I put some rattle can clear on that textured part when i had the boat (before I knew any better). It looked like that, with all the oxidation, before I did though. All I did was lightly spray it with some krylon clear (or something to that effect, did not sand it). Looked great! for about a month... I'm sure she'll clean up nice though once you figure out the right way to do it!

F2008

Nick (& Michael) Holy Crap! I'm really sorry that didn't work as well on your boat as it did on mine. I feel like sh1t seeing as how I recommended you do that. I don't understand what could have happened. Different clearcoat or conditions maybe. I did mine a couple of years ago and it still looks like the day I did it. Damn, I hope you get it fixed Mike. REALLY sorry! Don

Ocktane

Don, no worries, that was exactly how it looked when I bought the boat from Brian. The clearcoat didn't make it any worse, just didn't hang on too long. Don't beat yourself up!

MWest77

No sweat Don! I'll work on it this winter. In the meantime, I tried some Mothers synthetic boat wax and the powerball. It worked great! It's so shiny you can hardly tell. The powerball does a great job getting into all the curves. The projects are half the fun of owning the boat!

MWest77

Thanks guys! Thanks Dennis for the fix! Acetone cut the rattle can clear coat off then followed up with Plexus.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

MWest77

:blah blah blahThat thing sure cleaned up! Think I'll try to find a soft bristle brush a little bigger that a toothbrush though. Took almost an hour to do the front section!