Pathetic

tekajo

I have been boating on the Ohio river since the early 1990's. Someone has a beautiful 22 ft stoker with a 300 horsepower evinrude that has been kicking my *** for years. I have run against him with a 18 ft 6 inch baja with 350 magnum and a 21 ft checkmate with 225 promax. He was always happy to smile and drive right on past me. No problem. I can take a beating now, and I took one then. I have had my 2003 xb with 225 promax for 3 years now and have been waiting. I fish, waterski and cruise and have a 26 pitch trophy. GPS speed 85 mph. My 17 year old son and I were pulling out for the day when I spotted him about to launch. We came out of the water and with pit crew precison off came the trolling motor, fishing rods, seats, and tackle box. While we were launching again he spotted us and took off. He had a pretty good lead and I hammered it and pinned the rev limiter. He was probably running about 70 to 75. As I caught him and slowed down waiting for smooth water the unexpected happened....... the spineless, neutered SOB slowed and turned away. Pathetic

mikesufka

I have a similar story.

Back in the early 1990's, my dad owned a Hydrostream Vasseret/130 Yamaha combo. Every weekend I took the boat out. There was a guy with a Ebbtide ( I think) or some other fish/ski bassboat. He was running a ProV 150 Yamaha. We both topped out about 60 MPH and raced everytime we were on the lake. We'd always stop and chat, wave, smile, etc...

A few years go by and we upgrade to a 200 ProV Yamaha. Top speed is now 80+ MPH. I can't wait to go find my old friend with the Ebbtide. So, sure enough, he's out one day, we "race", as I run with him at 60 MPH for awhile. He's pointing at the new motor and I'm smiling. After a mile or so, I drop the hammer and walk away from him, just to show him the new speed. We stopped, chatted, he asked questions, etc... After a very friendly conversation, we part ways.

After that, it was over. Never ran with him again. Never talked again. To be honest, I hardly ever saw him again. Kinda sad.

Mike Sufka
St. Cloud, MN
Spectre 30 w/Twin 300 Mercs
Allison Grandsport/200 ProV Yamaha

RedAllison

Some folks can't handle no longer bein "da top dog"!!! :laughing

teka that's HYSTERICAL, at least the guy knew what an Allison was. (Probably had dat azz handed to him a time or two and knows not to tread on one anymore!) But wouldn't it have been fun to be his first brush with an Aboat? LOL run along side him til he hit top end and then stay there a minute or two and let him think he's got sumpin for ya then.... STAND ON IT SON!!! :big grin He'da been like :gasp

I STILL love comin up on people when they can't see yet what you are. They try their best, getter lined out, look back and see you STILL gainin on em quickly. They're like :help Then the look is PRICELESS once you swing beside them and they get a look at what you're in and that name on the side of the hull. They know the game is over then, lol that's EXACTLY what they do, they peel off and head in another direction. They typically know enough to know the hammer of Thor is NOT sumpin they want dropped on their azzez today!!!

lmao,
RA

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
I got this buddy Jeff Kitagawa who is sumo-sized and has a laugh like an asylum inmate. One day years ago we hunted down a green metalflake barge with a 300 on it and paced him.

You can usually tell when they're givin it all she's got; the trim is on the ceiling and they hunker down in the seats to try and be more "aero".

Well just when I know they are maxed out, I tick the trim and hammerdown and blow past them like they are a dock, to the sound of Jeff's cackling. I wonder what they were thinking, getting blown away by a boat with a 225 AND a 300-lb sumo in it!!

JR

The best is to join up beside one of the big twin engine Marine Patrol boats. I just move up slowly beside him and they'll start increasing their speed, after a couple of minutes of them wondering why they can't outrun me, I hammer down and leave them wondering what's wrong with their rig....
They haven't given me a ticket yet....
JR

citabriatom

I can't remember the movie,but the conversation went like this:"How many pushups can you do?"The response was:"One more than you can."Instead of just blowing people away(except a..holes who really need it)beat 'em just enough to keep them coming back for more.Maybe you can get them started down that long dark road of high performance.

mikesufka

I just remembered another great race story.

A buddy and I were up on the Whitefish Chain in MN. We were just pulling out after a day on the lake. I dropped my buddy off at the landing on Lower Hay Lake to put my truck in and I thought I'd make one last run across the lake and back. As I pulled out of the landing, a 35 foot Fountain went by with twin 525's. He was probably going about 30 MPH or so and looked over.

I did a "wheelie" and the "race" was on. With only a few gallons of gas in the boat and a good running 2.5 EFI Merc, it wasn't much of a race. I went about a mile or so with my liquid filled Gaffrig reading 101-102 MPH. Looking around, the Fountain was nowhere around, so I turned around and shot back to the landing. I met the Fountain, still coming, with two big rooster tails. So, we "met" with him going 80 or 90 in one direction and me going about a 100 MPH the other direction.

When I got back to the landing, I slowed down and saw the Fountain parked in the water. I figured I had enough gas for one more run, so I gave him a "fly-by". He waved, I turned around and went back to the landing.

This was when I had my first Grandsport.

Mike Sufka
St. Cloud, MN

Last edited:

msethsmile

Funny Guy
That's why I never ran the tall ferring on my xbo2, it kind of gave the purpose of the boat away. With the short ferring you could sneak up on people, but you only get one chance. No second races, news gets around.

My favorite Fountain story. I'm running down a 4-5 mile long lake in a xb02/260. This 35 Fountain has sc engines and proclaimed king o' the lake. We drill him rite in front of his groupies. He follows me for awhile and I can see he's 55ish with a 20ish babe alongside. You could tell it wasn't his daughter. Poor guy, how does he explain this defeat to his eye candy?

msethsmile

Funny Guy
tekajo--
Turning to the side is a time honored cop-out. Another one is putting on a hole-shot prop, beating the guy out-of-the-hole and declaring the race over at 50 yards. Thirdly, races against outboard guys 'don't count' to car motor guys (unless the car motor guy wins). The best one is sling-shotting a guy. A buddy and I were racing GranSports one time, out of the hole. As we were counting off a guy with a twin engine ob tunnel comes up from behind about 60-70mph. Like fools we try to catch up. He declared a victory. hmmm

Jimxb02

Yes it's fun to outrun a Fountain !!!!

I was running in the gulf of Mexico about 5 miles west of Clearwater at about 75 GPS when I pulled along side a red Fountain ICBM model that had some mean sounding big blocks in it. We started to increase the speed untill I reached about 93 on my GPS and started to pull away from him. He then turned away and headed south toward Sarasota. I guess I also had some luck with me because the water was not lake calm but the chop and rollers were something I could drive through. I didn't find out what power he had, but he had it aired out and at high rev.

Jim

froggy

I used to terrorize the Fountains as well as the rest of the "poker run" crowd on Table Rock lake. Hey boyz---no more---them boyz have some 150MPH shitz that'll suck your top cap off so be advised!

There's always someone faster---eventually.

froggy

FlatOutAlly

......them boyz have some 150MPH shitz that'll suck your top cap off so be advised!
Damn 6-drives and 1K+ per side....... I've had this happen to me too, Froggy. Not fun. Mid 90's and it went by at least 40 mph faster. That hurt. Hopefully he scattered a $45K drive around the corner, but I don't think so.

CHRIS IND

I have a 22 Stoker and run on the Ohio River just downstream from Cincy. I won't turn away! I have twin 260s though....LOL

Allisons have humbled many would-be fast boats. My GS sure did!!

Chris

tekajo

I run on the Ohio river near Evansville IN. What would you guess the speed of the stoker would be with the 300 ?

badbait

If that Stoker is a standard layup loaded light with a single 300X I would guess 92 to 93.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Mid 90's and it went by at least 40 mph faster. That hurt.
Take solace in the fact that he's burning 90 gallons per hour and it costs him $600-$900 to fill up.