Passing of Coach Stallings Son John Mark

Leigh

Aug. 2, 2008 Tuscaloosa, Ala. - John Mark Stallings, son of former University of Alabama head football coach Gene Stallings, died early Saturday morning. John Mark, who was born with Down syndrome and suffered from health problems related to a congenital heart defect, was 46

Any of you that follow SEC football know of the effect John Mark had on the Crimson Tide family during the Stallings years. If not do some research he was a special person not because of his disabilities but because of his abilities to love and encourage those around him.

RedAllison

I know the Stallings family hearts are heavy right now, but perhaps they can take solace in the fact that John now is shed of his handicapped body and stands proudly anew in much better place.

At my previous house I had a neighbor across the street who had a grandchild who was born with Downs. Somehow the childs father was hooked in with the U of A (can't remember if he was alum or not) but anyway about a week after the birth my neighbors wife was sitting at home when the phone rang. She picked it up and it was Coach Stallings himself. Now she honestly didn't know anything about him and didn't realize who she really was talking too at the time. I want to say he started a research or charity foundation (something like that) named after his son and wanted to let my neighbors know they were welcomed to join in and he would like to do anything he could for the family as a result. My neighbors wife hung up and didn't think much more of it until her husband came home and she told him who had called. He just couldn't believe what happened and when he called the babies parents they nearly passed out. What a CLASS ACT Coach Stallings must be!!!

I have a half-brother (dads middle son) who has Downs so I know the "specialness" of these kids and the unique challenges a family faces with the raising of such children. My little brother is now in his middle 20s and is quite a person. When my neighbor told me that story I instantly put Coach Stallings on my "A-list" and knew he had to be one special man with a Godly, servant minded heart.

God speed John and prayers to Coach and his family,
RA

Last edited: