Pad question

Fishforcash

I hear of people changing the pad lip and running their engines up over pad.

My pad (I think) is box stock with no changes. My hull seems to run better at even or 1/4" below. Seems the lighter I run it the lower it wants to be. Is this the stock lip giving the stern a larger rise so in turn the propshaft gets a better bite down lower? I have a hydrolic plate and I have been playing with it but I have found this hull doesnt like the propshaft over pad at all.

The more I drive it the better I like it, but man this thing is a different animal than anything I have ever owned. Fun but different.

J

John Richied

If I remember right you run a ProMax 225 on your XB-2003.
If it was me and I was looking for a performance gain I would mess with boat balance, gearcase modifications, setback, propshaft height, props, engine modifications, etc and leave the lip alone.

chad202

Personally, I would take the middle down to around .040. But I've done lot's of testing and that's just me. Ricky, my boat acted similar to yours. I ran mine at 1/4 above to fish and everything was great. When I would lighten her up, it would try to blow out at that height so I had to bring it down to even. My lip is now gone but I do believe .030 to .040 to be the best all around with a promax. I'm still not done testing mine cause my kids in ball, I just haven't had time. I do like how responsive mine is to trim now and how more predictable it is getting out the throttle. JMO, I think I now have a much safer boat.

Last edited:

whipper

Also differant props like differant hights Ive found. My Trophy like to be a bit lower in the water than My 3 blades for instance. Things change with load even full fuel to light fuel will change the feel you get at WOT. The higher you go at wot the more carfull you have to be. Unless im by myself and trying to go as fast as I possably can {ragged edge}
I leave the hight high but not to the very top. You get to know with experimantation whats comfortable for you. Just be safe and dont shoot for the moon full up unless conditions are near perfict! At 85+ waves in the distance are hard to see untill your on them going Ok I can make it!:banghead:laughing I wouldnt touch your pad unless it needs repair from chips ect.. Most people I think are the same way. I wish mine never needed to be touched up from chips bit it happens and its hard getting it factory once you play with it. Then you think lets try this and that! Garys saying says it all! Dont Know enough to leave well enough alone!:laughing

Last edited:

HDL

Ricky, I agree with Chad 100%. However, be careful messing with the lip. I honestly believe you will like it better if you took the middle 3" down to around .040.

Hank

Fishforcash

I hope you all dont misunderstand. I am not planning on changing a thing. I am happy with my performance and handling (I already have a sportmaster mini mod). I was just asking about the lip and if what I am experienceing is normal. I am just learning my boat and trying to make what I have do the very best it can do.

pickwickangler

How light? I never have emptied mine out completely but I did try to run at 3/4 above and blew out. I just leave it at 1/4 below now so I aint gotta worry about how many people is in or out of the boat. Seems to me that once you get to 1/4 below, raising it from there with stock lip I have not seen any gains.

Fishforcash

1/4" below to even is where mine runs best with a one man fishing load. It depends on what I have in it but thats the range it seems to like best. I have not pulled the troller or anything to try to run a number.

HDL

Is this the stock lip giving the stern a larger rise so in turn the propshaft gets a better bite down lower
then yes what you are experiencing is the lip on the pad, it throws the water down, in turn raising the stern, in turn causing you to run lower motor hieghts depending on load.

Hank

pickwickangler

then yes what you are experiencing is the lip on the pad, it throws the water down, in turn raising the stern, in turn causing you to run lower motor hieghts depending on load.
Just to add a little. The water comes off the pad and it is kinda shot downward at a 45 degree angle, it then does a u-turn and comes up, hits about 2-3 inches behind the nose cone (on a sporty) at a 45 degree angle. Thats why you can run a lower engine height on a ally. Probably has saved a bunch props and gearcases over the years.

faceoff

Glen Reynolds worked my pad and took the lip down.It likes the motor above the pad and has never blown out or done anything crazy.handles and drives more like a bullet now.Thats with a 225x and a 28 hydromotive.

chad202

Take your fosset and run the water, get a flat head screw driver and place it in the running water but on an angle(which represents the lip) and see how the water reacts. Now change that angle so that it's less and see how the flow characters of the flowing water changes.

whipper

I think the foil helps this effect also. I know with it off then PUT BACK ON SAME day with same prop it feels like the stern is elevated more. The bow reacts more pressition to the trim also leaving me to believe the water being deflected up is rebounding off the foil making this happen at speed. The bow and stern just dont have the same reaction time and persition to it with it off for me anyway. So like a combination the lip forceing water down lifting the stern and the foil deflecting water down off the gear case and prop adding additional lift. I often wondered why they dont curl the end down like a lip at the back of the foil. Just on the sides?

Last edited:

JR

When mine had the stock lip it felt like I was balancing on a pipe roller right at the rear of the pad. It would cause the rear of the hull to run higher out of the water and the bow to run lower. When I came off the power the bow would drop more than it does now without the lip. The teter-totter effect of the lip makes quite a change in the depth of the prop shaft according to how much power is "on".
Just my observations.....

bigtis

my xb2003 was pretty lite. probably like 800ish. 14" setback, stock pencil roll. she did not like to come over the pad. pad even when boat lite, and 1.4-1/5 below loaded. I was just the opposite of what you all are saying, but I was only running a stock 2.5 200. ran right under 90. around 86-88 all day and never stripped the boat to see what she'd do. brought it to even with a moderate load, and she hooked. I loved to and always ran my drag4 28. buttloads of bow and tail lift. don't know if this helps any, but this was my experience. I think fishforcash has sold his 2003 as of now. mine had hydraulic jack plate also. I could run a 28 britts cut just a tad above the pad, but it would slip alot, and you had to turn it at least 4-4500 with 1.87's to get the wheel to bite. ran it once and she did 90, but I didn't like the way the boat felt. " real finicky but fast.
should've ran that wheel some more, because as it turns out, she's a one off. pretty quick for what she's turnin.

Last edited: