Ordered my new carpet kit today...

h2oskiier30

Called Bill and got made the order. Looking forward to getting it on, just not looking forward to the process of actually doing it.

Any hints and tips are greatly appreciated.

xb2003

Let me know ahead of time and I'll give a hand. We can get it ready for glue in one day. We could do it in a weekend.

allison8503

tape off all the edges like you are going to paint it. Trust me it is easier to pull the tape up then to try and clean the glue out of the textured area of the inside of the boat.

baitcaster

tape off all the edges like you are going to paint it. Trust me it is easier to pull the tape up then to try and clean the glue out of the textured area of the inside of the boat.
?, can you explain this a little more? Why tape it off? Since I to have carpet coming and will need to redo mine, I am curious. I replaced the carpet in my old boat, it wasn't fun by any-means, but I didn't tape anything off - curious how this helps??? Is it to prevent glue from getting on the sides of the boat, etc?

pickwickangler

Yes it's to prevent glue from getting on the sides. I didn't do it on mine and I had a few places to clean up. It aint no problem if you clean it up while its still wet.

Todd Morgan

The pre bound carpet is such a pleasure to install.

Secrets? Cleaning the old glue and backing off is the hard part. A very sharp putty knife is the best way to do it. The other secret.....apply more glue to the carpet, not the deck. Also, more glue around the seat base holes, hot foot area and any other hi traffic area's.

FLYING BUTCHER

Been there done that. You don't have to get "all" the glue off. You will find that out as you go along. At first you want to get it all and after a few hours you will find it not necessary/ Don't use acetone it will not work near as well as laquer thinner. Get you some outdoor carpet glue from home depot. lids take a long time but rest will go pretty quick. Makes em look like new when finished. My 2 cents

nickens21

Just curious how does the new carpet install on da floor??? Reason asking is on my xtb looks like the carpet was put down and then the top cap.. How do u remove floor carpet?? Would u cut flush with edge where the boat meets the carpet?? The new carpet must have the raised seams around the edge like on all the compartment lids for the floor... Thanks, Jesse

Ocktane

I'm redoing the carpet on my XTB and I have the same questions about the carpet in the middle, you ever get an answer on some tips for doing that?

Ocktane

Hey Jesse. I just pulled all the carpet out of my 89 XTB and as far as the floor carpet, no cutting is needed. The screws that go around the fiberglass under the driver's seat and along the inside of the cockpit can be removed to slightly pry up the fiberglass, and I mean SLIGHTLY! But yeah the carpet goes the whole way up under that fiberglass and I just kinda used a screwdriver, sliding it under the fiberglass to break the carpet loose and then gently pulled it out from under there. where it goes underneath all the fiberglass lips elsewhere it should pull right out. I was actually surprised at how easily it came up. Hopefully you get it out incident free! Let me know how you make out, I'm about to put the new carpet in my XTB, we'll have to compare results!
-Nick

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a good tip on the tape! My boat had new carpet put in it before I bought it and there are random glue spots around the edges of the carpet. The tape idea would definitely prevent that.

Brian

Ocktane

Yeah I'm gonna have to adopt that tape idea when I start layin the new stuff on mine this week.