Optimax t-stats

GotMyAlly

Anybody replace the t-stats as part of routine maintenance? Or just run 'em till they die?

Logically, they're spring-loaded, so I'd think fatigue would eventually set in. I've had mine out and apart enough times to clean them that I'm wondering if I ought to just replace 'em at some point in the future.

Allyfishing

So you're saying you've had them out several times and apart and just went ahead and put them right back in again??? And how many hours are on your motor?? And you never thought to buy new ones and put them in??? Neal...shame on you........hahahahaha

I know I'm going to get blasted for this but I have mine replaced each fall when I have my motor completely serviced. Yes and plugs too and filters blah blah blah...no I'm not wealthy but I prefer to subscribe to preventative maintenance rather than fix it when it's really broke.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seems a bit excessive to me having all of that done every year, but if don says so... Plugs and thermostats should be good for years. I bet thermostat longevity is based on how clean the water you run in is. I've never replaced thermostats and at 5 years this is the longes I've had the same motor. It may be a good thing to do from time to time though, you never know. Heck, I changed the spark plugs in mine once at 100 hours and that was only just because. No real need to. How old is you motor Neal?

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
I never changed the T-stats when I had my Pro XS. Smartcraft was consistent for the 5 years I had it so I never gave them a thought. I averaged 65 hours each of the 5 years I had it. I changed the spark plugs once and carried a spare set that I never needed.

Allyfishing

I'll have to look back at some of my invoices, I'm assuming my t-stats were replaced, maybe not.

GotMyAlly

How old is you motor Neal?
It's going into it's 5th season now.

So you're saying you've had them out several times and apart and just went ahead and put them right back in again??? And how many hours are on your motor?? And you never thought to buy new ones and put them in??? Neal...shame on you........hahahahaha
Yep, I've probably had them out 1/2 dozen times or so to clean trash out of them. Small bits of shale or wood. Most of the time, it was done in a parking lot at the boat ramp, etc., so replacement t-stats weren't readily available.

Oddly enough, I NEVER touched the t-stats on my 225X that I ran for 6 years in the same waters, or my previous 250XS.....but I only had that one for about a yr.

Allyfishing

Ok, checked my past invoices and the t stats were pulled and checked, not replaced but 1 time and that was just last fall with about 250 hours on the motor. I do replace the water impeller with a new kit every fall and new plugs. Also new fuel filters and have the strainer filter pulled out the side of the block, checked, cleaned and put back in.