Older Allisons

slingup

I am not an Allison owner, but that is my goal one day. Although I have never posted before I have been lurking here for some time. My dream boat is the XB 2003 for its speed and fishablility for me, and the family friendly layout for the wife. I won't be able to buy new, so my question is are there any disadvantages to buying a 10-15 year old Allison? I have read that they are no-rot, and I see older ones for sale all the time on this board, but I don't have any personal experience with them. What should I look for in an older Allison, what motors should be avoided, etc. Are there any special features that have been introduced that would make some years more desireable than others? Thanks in advance; you have a great forum here.

GotMyAlly

Only advantage to buying new (in my opinion) is if you are dead set on a specific color.

Mine will be 10 years old this year. I've owned it for 7 of those years. You'd be hard pressed to tell mine from one that is a year or two old other than a few minor self-inflicted blemishes from fishin' way too shallow.

TAC44

Mine is 12 yrs old and people still don't believe it. Allison owners seem to take extra care of their rigs and it shows.

RedAllison

All the XB03s ever built were composite (1994 was the introductory model year for the XB2003). If the boat has been properly stored and cared for then buying a 10-15 year old XB03 will be no different than buying a new one other than you'll be saving ALOT of $$$. :wink I think the only difference over the years was a floor change under the backseat in the earlier 03s and some minor trim changes. Other than that they are the same hull and layout.

As with most used boats, the motors are the most questionable part of the equation. You never fully know what you're buying. Top pinned motors WILL fail, it's just a matter of time. It's nice to know the real hours on anything you buy as well.

If you find a boat you're interested in then check with us on this site. You'd be surprised how many Allison's are "known boats" and the majority of them (There have been between 600 and 700 XB03s built in total) are known about, at least at somepoint in their life, by someone on this board.

Good luck, :beer:
RA

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Mines a 1994 model and it only looks a few years old. Love mine. I dont think you will have a hard time finding a nice one.

Fishforcash

This was my 1996 XB2003. It was a cream puff with some very cool toys on it and I just made it better. The deals on great boats are out there but you have to be patient and move fast when you find one. Dont worry about little things like gauges and extras. Look for a good slick clean hull with a perfect pad and then make it your own.

F2008

My '88 (XB2002) New carpet & seat cover but the hull is in remarkable shape for being 20 yrs old.

slingup

Thanks for all the replies. I am now very confident I will be able to find a nice ride I can afford. From what I have looked into I had always hoped that what you guys had said was true, but without any other supporting evidence hope is not much of a strategy. BTW, all of your rigs look fantastic. Thanks for the pics.