Oil Choice?

whipper

Whipper there is no such thing as 100 % synthetic. It all has a touch of oil in it. Pennzoil had to change what they put on the bottle. It is the same stuff it use to be. It says full synthetic now.

Rico is a good guy. I have met him several times.

Roy
Ahh I see said the blind man. Good to know.
Amzoil used to always say they were the only {full 100%} synthetic oil? This must have changed that also? I always use merc because I couldnt get the Penz hear. I even tryed to see if Wally World could order me in some since i knew lots of guys south get it from there but no go.:very sad I spend a day on the phone talking to and leaving messages with distributors and they all when they dug into it found they couldnt sell to Canada? PITA, So much for free trade eh.:big grin

whipper

Amsoil all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You like that stuff I take it.:beer: Ive heard good things about Amzoil also. Ive also heard it sets of cravings for cheese burgers and makes you gain wieght? Ever experiance this before? Something in the smell of the blue.

Bobalouie

Thats interesting Whipper, because I have heard more bad than good on Amsoil.

From my research on the various boards, this is what I have learned, YMMV:

Amsoil - Alot of folks run it without problems, but when you hear about it from the well respected engine builders, most of them have seen issues with blueing of the internals and short hour to rebuild times. I have heard the term "gritty" used to describe the condition of the internals when being torn down.

Merc Oils - Havent heard anything bad about it that I can unearth. Recommended by some engine builders for certain applications

Penz Full Synth - I have heard of one respectable engine builder that doesnt like it. Most everybody else does that uses it, and other engine builders speak highly of it.

Klotz - Have heard good and bad in equal amounts. It is the oil I previously used, so the only one I can directly comment on. When my engine was torn down this year for a rebuild, it was dirty (sooty) inside. This is directly related to the ash content of the oil. So, you could say that Klotz doesnt burn as clean as some others. When my injectors were sent to Brucato to clean, I called them to get the results and they knew before I told them that I ran Klotz oil. When I asked how they knew, they said that when they clean injectors that have run Klotz that they extrude a red spaghetti like substance, which makes the injectors a bear to clean. No other oils do that. That may have something to do with my cleaning bill quadrupling because I had to replace 2 injectors that wouldnt come in. Just my experience with Klotz.

Alisyn - Never heard a bad comment about it

Not trying to start any arguements or flame wars over which oil is best. I personally believe that with the exception of Amsoil, all the major brands are just about equal for a lake use engine.

Personally I am switching to Penzoil.

chad202

6 one way 1/2 dz another. I ran amsoil with zero issues in steel sleeve engine. Running merc premium plus in my 260. I know very known well know builders that love pensoil and just as many that think it's crap.

whipper

Bobalouie,

Ya I dont know anything about Amsoil. SStom said he liked it. I Never used it before. I was commenting on SSToms post just joking around about the cheese burger smell as someone said before on hear the smoke smelled like cheese burgers or something like that? Maybe it was Klotz?:big grin

I use Merc Premium plus always except I tryed one jug of Alysn before a couple of years ago. I to would try Penz if I could get it hear as its cheeper and lots of guys use it without issues it seems.

I always figured and was told to run Merc as thats what Merc intended there motors to be run with. I realize there are other oils that do and have worked fine though.

K.Kiser

I agree with Jay Smith's recommendations, with the addition of factory Merc Premium and Alisyn..
I'd also like to add that poor and/or old fuel and an out-of-tune engine will kill by far and away more parts than name brand oils...

jas638

Banned
Penn. in the below 8000 rpm motors and Red Line in the higher more stressed engines..Never let me down yet.

Jay
i listen to jay!!!! jay thanks for a great motor. it keeps getting better and better. hits and runs like a scalded dog:big grin

Jus' Giv'r

Feedback has been great. I think I will try the Pennzoil. Although.... I can get the Merc stuff around the corner.
Whip......you bet I'm ready to give er'

chester8420

But randon oil from the Gas station might cost ya in the long run?
You might be right.
I blew my motor up just before Christmas running Merc. During break in and since the rebuild, I've been running a combo of "lilly store" brand 2 stroke oil, and leftover mystery oil from an old oil injection tank we took off a used boat.

Runs great! :cool