Oil Bath Hubs

2003225X

I have oil hubs on my 05 boatmate trailer... not the vault system. How do you giys recommend to check these? There is no oil leak whaysoever coming out of them. I am looking to have an extra hub on hand to make the trip to the rally.

Where can I get something and what would you recommend to have on hand and check the ones on thr trailer?

I'm guessing if there is no leak and the oil isn't milky I'm good to go?? My main concern is having a seal blow out and losing all the oil.

LakeAnna

Matt the trailer under my GS is a 04 and Lee said not to even touch it.... I have the same trailer as yours I would think. Back in the day with the SMP you had to have a few tools on hand.

How's your hotrod running????

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
I've got these on my 2002 trailer as well, and no idea how to check them or what kind of maintenance they need. Would appreciate some info too.

2003225X

Matt the trailer under my GS is a 04 and Lee said not to even touch it.... I have the same trailer as yours I would think. Back in the day with the SMP you had to have a few tools on hand.

How's your hotrod running????
Its running real well, how about yours?

patches

You have to take the wheel off to get to the plug. I recently drained mine and re filled with new fluid. There's a couple good threads on here about them

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Matt, don't forget to check your tires too. If they are the originals they are probably getting old enough to be replaced. Time will deteriorate the materials used in today's tires more than miles. They will look good but sometimes come apart at the most inappropriate time. Make sure they are aired up too. At least make sure you have a spare, a jack, and lug wrench just in case.

2003225X

Good thinking Dave. They are good to go and I have a spare in case as well as the other tools.

When are you heading down?

GotMyAlly

Put bearing bras on them! I had one of them on my old trailer start to leak because grit got in the o-ring seal where the cup moves in and out. Just required draining, dissembling, and reinstalling, but they really need covers to keep grit off of that surface.

RedAllison

RC they purty small, Trainin size I'd reckon? :laughing

If you have the Gold system on your Ally/Boatmate trailer then the bearing/hub cover is the standard 1.98" so a standard Bearing Buddy Bra from Wallyworld will fit over the inspection window. I've had a set on mine from day one, I forgot where I read the recommendation but it puts one more layer of protection over the cap.

Knock on wood I haven't had any problem after that one wheel in '09. I think I'll drain & refill mine tomorrow just because its been since '09 since I drained them all & refilled them. Earlier this week I saw the example of a "system failure" of a Gold system. A good bud of mine has an '04 22ft Bryant with a Boatmate. He owns a house on the TN River with a ramp in the neighborhood so he rarely puts the rig on the road. But he wanted to have the boat detailed here in Jackson (an hour from the river) so he pulled it home. The left rear hub cover came off & of course the 50W oil lasted no time. By the time he got home that hub & spindle was TOAST! Being in a hurry for the weekend & the trailer being a torsion axle, he had to order a complete torsion arm, spindle, bearings, hub...the whole enchilada. That's the reason I DONT like the oil bath units, you lose the hub cover while on the road & you have only a couple of minutes or miles at most before a catastrophic failure is imminent! I've lost several grease caps over the years, just put some more grease in them, a new cover & Rock & roll!!!

UFP knew the Gold was a POS & most quit using it after only a couple, few years so they released the Vault system which uses 90W gearlube. I'm curious how long that would last on the hiway
without a cover?

Last edited:

ROBERT CROSS

"RC they purty small, Trainin size I'd reckon?"

Thank's Red, made a few call's and couldn't get a straight answer. I was thinking of using 90w also, have you tried it yet?

Back in the day when DW and I started dating I thought it would be interesting to get her some nice sexy underwear. When the salesgirl said I would need her bra size I had to put the purchase off 'til I got it.
When I came back the next day she asked if I had the size, I told her "yep sure do it's 7 1/2." She said.. "we don't have that size, what did you measure it with"............. ......"my hat" :LMAO:

Bob

Last edited:

GotMyAlly

You need an extra bearing protector for the gold system? I've got a spare I bought for my old boat. New trailer has the vault system so I don't need it. It won't save you if you roast the hub, but if you skiing one off and catch it soon enough it will get you back in the road.

GotMyAlly

Red,

Do you know the cup size of the bra used on the dual axle Boatmate?

Bob
:smile

The 19B bras are supposed to fit, but they are a little loose for my liking. The 17B ones are too tight, but can be stretched to fit (heat 'em up just a little) and they are tight like yoga pants.

Tray Archer

change them to greese hubbs pit bearing buddies on and good to go i converted mine
new bearings seals and filled it up no problems in over 2 years just give them some greese once a year and good to go.
Tray

GotMyAlly

These are the ones I put on mine. Tried the 19B, but they slung off on the first trip. Had to dip these in hot water to soften them up to stretch over the bearing buddy, but they ain't coming off unintentionally.

http://amzn.to/1cKqrgG