octane boost

DAVEO

Is it ok or not. I have a 1996 2.5 260 carbed have only ran 91 but alot of places dont carry the higher octane. So the question is it ok or not?

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Dave do you know what kind of compression numbers you've got? If it's like 130 or so, 91 should be allright. If it's higher, like 150+, better splash some race gas with the 91. Like 5 gallons race per 25 total.

Personally I am wary of the octane boost sold in cans mostly for automotive use. Since the lubricant for the motor is in the fuel, I always wonder what kind of chemical reaction i.e. thinning, the boost might have on the lubricant.

Just my 2 cents.

Lou

GFinch

Octane booster only bumps .1 if that . Thats 1/10 of a point . If you wish to increase octane you going to have to splash true racing gas in your 91. I see CJ leader :shock: has addressed this before I could finish.

badbait

I have heard in the past that you should not rely on octane booster. A few days ago Wayne Tripp started a series of post over on the STV owners board on building a lake motor for himself. He says this is his motor and he doesn't care what other people do, this is the way he is going to do it. It's one of the most interesting and informative articles I have ever read. He just happened to be covering this subject about fuel additives. And says there is an additive that works for him. He says running 2 oz. of TK-7 per five gallons of premium, the gas will run like it's 100 octane. In his words again (you can build a motor with 175 pounds of static compression and it will run on pump gas if the motor is built as detonation resistant as possible). This really is a great read. It's worth your time if your interested in modified motors.

badbait