NYS PFD Law addendum

F2008

The safety forum was getting kind of stale, and maybe there are some that hadn't heard there's a new addition to the PFD law here in New York.

Effective 11-01/09:
The new law requires everyone on motorboats, canoes, kayaks, rowboats and sailboats less than 21 feet to wear a personal flotation device while on the water from Nov. 1 to May 1, when the water is coldest.

Allyfishing

Don,
That's actually a good law. It was either the end of Oct or the beginning of Nov a local man drowned on Mauch Chunk Res when his canoe overturned. No lifevest. On B-ville Lake recently a man and a woman with a baby overturned a canoe and the water was in the mid 50's. Luckily, my friend was still at the lake late in the day ready to take his boat out of the water when the park commission came driving in and said he had to go back out and rescue them hanging onto the canoe. This happened at 6:00 in the evening right before the time change1 What are people thinking? :help

champ198

When I'm fishing by myself in the winter months, I wear a PFD (and not the inflatable kind you hope activates). I wear heavy thick clothing (parka, bibs, heavy boots, thick socks) that could waterlog fast.

I don't like how lawmakers try to legislate common sense sometimes, but the spirit of NY's law is safety I believe.

F2008

I don't know, .... just how dense do you have to be to not understand or realize the consequences. :confused: