'nuther 260 question...

bc's xtb21

After y'all helping me to find out who owned the burned up Allison that I bought the motor off of, I called my Mumford in Georgia, who built the engine, he said it was his personal motor that he ran at Jasper a year or two ago. He said the port timing and exhaust has been been ported the same as a drag. I was just wondering since this block has been cut to drag specs how it would do as a fishing motor. I imagine it would give up quite a bit on bottom end (with me trying to spin a larger pitch prop). But once it breaks over it ought a be gone. Thanks!

JaySmithRacing

I find most Drag Ported engines with pump gas heads attached lack on bottom end torque . That torque can be helped with a mechanical advantage ( small pitch prop ) OR higher compression which is most of the time not acceptable for the average pump gas only guy ...

My .02
Jay

suicidealli

I agree with jay.. A drag, or a cut drag on 150 lbs comp or less (93 oct) is soft...
I really like a drag on 170 lbs for a everyday motor. As far as wear, they aren't any different than a 260/280 as long as you spin them the same rpms.
What year block is it?JMO

Roy

bc's xtb21

Thanks for the help, the block is a 93, I'm hoping to get by on pump 93 gas, I've got extra heads I can cut to bring me up to the 165-170 range to put on when I want to run with the big dogs.lol

racerx

If it was Larrys personal motor it would be a very fast motor on a well set up boat,mumford was the king for many years at the ODBA events,him and his son pounded lots of boats in pro fuel,when on, he was at the top....

suicidealli

If it was Larrys personal motor it would be a very fast motor on a well set up boat,mumford was the king for many years at the ODBA events,him and his son pounded lots of boats in pro fuel,when on, he was at the top....
You got that right...

Is it a small bearing, or did they make it a big bearing?

Roy

bc's xtb21

They made it a big bearing. I could give up a little on bottom if the mid rangeand top end were strong, I'm running a 2.4 Bridgeport right now and if It's not much worse than it on bottom I'd be happy.