Nossecone mod

ally2dextreme

one more try

not to argue but im thinking allison as a whole not only the ss wich is the sport model even this boat only has a few more owners on this board with more than 260 hp over the guys running less power and most of the guys on here are gear heads if you counted them state wide including people that wanted a pleasure boat i bet there would be more with less than 260 hp if you take the bassboat wich is sold buy more # than the ss ther is a bigger diff in that way more are using less power so point is more poeple average poeple are going to benifit with more lip and more setback the way darris builds them darris goal has always been to build the most efficent consumer boat period the speed is a byproduct race boat diff story ps new one comming ooops by the way shook do you have a VERY DIFF pad i would guess not since you have the fastest bass boat chime in and darris says if buy VERY DIFF on red boat you mean perfect as was designed otherwords blueprinted yes it is randy look forward to talking to you in person cant type this took me 45 min haha

S

Scott Gilmore

Re: one more try

ally2dextreme said:
not to argue but im thinking allison as a whole not only the ss wich is the sport model even this boat only has a few more owners on this board with more than 260 hp over the guys running less power and most of the guys on here are gear heads if you counted them state wide including people that wanted a pleasure boat i bet there would be more with less than 260 hp if you take the bassboat wich is sold buy more # than the ss ther is a bigger diff in that way more are using less power so point is more poeple average poeple are going to benifit with more lip and more setback the way darris builds them darris goal has always been to build the most efficent consumer boat period the speed is a byproduct race boat diff story ps new one comming ooops by the way shook do you have a VERY DIFF pad i would guess not since you have the fastest bass boat chime in and darris says if buy VERY DIFF on red boat you mean perfect as was designed otherwords blueprinted yes it is randy look forward to talking to you in person cant type this took me 45 min haha
Well, I'd say I'm pretty much an average boater.........I've owned my SS2000 since 1998 and have had a 225 Pro Max, 2.5 245 Carb, two 2.5 260 EFIs & two 2.5 Drags on the boat. I don't think there have been more than 50 or 60 SS2000's produced since 1998 & I'd bet 95% of those are running 225 Pro Max's or better. I can't see spending BIG money on an SS2000 & hanging 200 or less HP on it...........to me it seems like kind of a waste of time :?: !! Scott :D

GPI Racing

My point, as usual, is not being taken correctly. If being the most efficient "sold" then Allison would be building 10 times more boats. Being efficient DOES NOT bring customers into the door. If it did I wouldn't be selling "brand X" at 5 to one. DO NOT take this as some sort of bashing session. Facts are facts..Allison is a "hot rod" that is what sells. Can you imagine Ferrari or Maseratti NOT using there heritage or reputation to sell cars. Can you imagine them selling "grocery getters"? I want nothing more than their continued success (Allison). If they are the thing to have, then I make money selling them. If they are pushed as the worlds greatest mileage king, that is a waste. 9 out of 10 aren't hearing that. Tell it like it is...the world's quickest v-bottoms..period. That sells.

Randy

PS I used the SS2000 as an example not a scapegoat.

chad202

do ya'll know what Allison does at the factory when they blueprint a pad. My boat had this done. I can tell you their is still a lip though. They didn't paint anything, the bottome is just primed or gray. With the blueprint work, is 14" setback ok or should I go down? Good info for sure.

GPI Racing

Chad,

The 14" seems to be the norm for your boat. I can say that when we have changed the gearcase to the modified one that we have all been talking about, we gain lift and find the boat runs better with less setback. I always go by the rule that you run the least amount of setback you can get away with. It's one of my peeves. You do need to have the leverage to lift your bow (and troller if you have one) so I'd say your boat is the norm.

On a different note, here's one for you guys to think about. If the lip is to create tail lift or let's say, pop the tail, if you removed the set back and ran one with 4 or 5" but had no lip at all, would it be faster? On my 130mph full interior, side steer Xr2002 I did just that. With the motor close to the boat (2 inches in this case) the center of gravity and the tail weight was effectively less so the lip HINDERED that set up's performance. The boat was a nice 120mph Allison before I did these mods. It became a 130mph boat that could run 2 people faster than it used to take one afterward.

Now don't go grinding up the pads of your boats! This is for conversation only. My point is that there are many ways to achive performance. I like less set back etc because the boat is way more consistent and handles the rough better. I always wonder why we have a lightweight boat built and then go bolt 45lbs of metal to the back. If it needs that amount of engine setback why not build it in the boat? The boat would be stiffer and handle better yet. Things to think about and compare......

Randy

J

John Richied

I’ve always believed the lip on an Allison lets you run your propshaft lower, giving you a better holeshot and at speed the boat acts like the propshaft is much higher due to the added lift. It gives you the best of both worlds on the “recommended horsepower” for your Allison hull.

Obviously as Randy and others have proved, when you start strapping on a lot of horsepower the lip, gearcase and setback needs adjusted accordingly.

froggy

Nosecone

John,

The lip does not LET you run your gearcase lower, it MAKES you have to run your gearcase lower. That lip is like lowering the flaps on an airplane: it increases lift at the expense of drag.

Don't get me wrong, the lip is a good thing; however, one can have too much of a good thing as Randy has tried to explain.

Our last Allison drag boat ended up with zero lip and zero offset (bolted the engine smooth to the transom). This boat was no slouch either, ran high 8's. Fishing boats are much different in amount of lip and offset, but I personally think that we can get by with less of each.

froggy

BigRWater

Now I know what FASTFISH is talking about in the WAR video (2fast4mom productions) Geff is talking about plugging one hole on the right side of the gearcase. And now I see it in this months B&WB article. cool WCB :D :D
Do any of you remember this thread? How can I find this video (2fast4mom productions) with "Geff" "talking about plugging one hole on the right side of the gearcase"?