Nossecone mod

West Coast Bull

Now I know what FASTFISH is talking about in the WAR video (2fast4mom productions) Geff is talking about plugging one hole on the right side of the gearcase. And now I see it in this months B&WB article. cool WCB :D :D

brotherxb03

My brother was showing me this lower unit mod at his outboard shop the other day in that magazine. It really looks nice and if a bob's is about 400 shiped this is got to be double.

GPI Racing

The pricing on a sportmaster convertion is $600 and with the wide cav plate this adds $125. To do a 200 case is less but we just did a CLE exactly like the sporty case and the results turned out great. There is much more to it than just plugging off the starboard side hole though.(the photo shows the holes before they are finished, which is the important stuff) It is all about the torpedo shape and the transition from the noze. At the Ally 50th we are going to have some "parking lot" sessions that will show and discuss exactly what makes all this work. I have been also working with Dave Bostic on the Triton props he has. Last Friday I ran some back to back tests with some new stuff compared to a baseline Triton and a Lightning ET that we have. An XB2003 with a warmed up 280/260 electrics went 110mph GPS in a 1/3 mile run. (my test lake is 1/2 mile shore to shore) This is 4mph faster than the ET ran and 3 faster than the base triton. The best part was the acceleration. It KILLED the ET prop. We will have some of these at the 50th for you guys to try.

I'll try to keep you guys posted on our own testing and experimenting.

Randy

ALLISONMAN

ID LIKE TO try that prop for sure at the rally!!! i ran like 106 something 2 years ago but havent ran no topspeed lately in my boat. my boat wnated to keep stuffing the nose down around 105 and since lately I want to take my windshield off and see if that help the boats ride quality at top speed!! randy did that 2003 have a windshield or any of those funny handling problems like mine develops over the 100 mark????

GPI Racing

Allisonman,

The boat had a windshield. It also had a Titus/GPi case. In every instance so far we have gained bowlift. This boat was no exception. I found that I could run the boat with less set back (10" total) and with props not so "lifty". Granted the boat was empty but that's pretty good for a 2003 in a short shot. The handling was excellent and I'd have to say better than a sportmaster at sub 100 speeds. That is the trick though....the sportmaster has you compromise your set up so if you just switch cases, not so much of a gain. But...if you exercise all of the avalible options that before were not able or didn't work, the speed just keeps coming. BTW the noze cone height with me hanging my head over the back a 50mph and neutral trim, was 1/4 below the water surface. What this is in "measured on the trailer" height I'd have to go back and do. Most likely level or so with the pad I'd guess. How it is in running conditions is what's important so that is why guys see me leave the seat and lay on the deck looking.

We'll have some fun at the rally....

Randy

alli ss

those are pretty impressive numbers with a 2003. 105 is all I ever heard of, but I knew there was more. what kind of lip did it have on the pad?

GPI Racing

The lip is pretty much gone except I leave a little on the outside edge. Zero in the middle and about .070" on the outside. Much the same as my 129mph Xr2002. Darris HATES when I talk about the lip. I think he designed it to carry weight with low power, you know the efficiency thing. But I have found that to go fast and have the boat take a solid set the lip needs to be almost removed. I know for a fact the red boat Jaco set all the records with has a totally different Jaco modified pad. This is the primary reason I think the SuperSport is so evil in it's handling. The Purple boat that is on the raffle has a modified pad by me. It runs sooooo predictable compared to when we first got it. Another thing, I've NEVER seen 2 Allisons with EXACTLY the same lip. Never. If it's so critical why the inconsistency? I'm probably damned for that statement but it's true. We could have a hell of a discussion on the subject here......any ideas.

Randy

ALLISONMAN

I KNOW what ya mean randy - glenn reynolds worked on my pad to keep it from picking the tail-end of the boat up and pulling the gearcase out of the water!!! blowout welp It will be great at the rally to discuss some of this stuff with you and see if I might be able to pick up some info!!! speaking of your xr2002 did you have to reinforce your pad area to run those big numbers!!!! I have heard that in the 120's the pad wanted to suck up and cause a blowout issue??? welp enough for now cant wait to drink a beer and bs with you northern boyz!!!!!!!

Yellowallison

Glen Reynolds has showed me how to modified my pads before and YES it makes a huge diference..

I tried running my (Capsule 2003) boat without the pad modified first and I almost took out a bridge..........and dirtied the seat..

I worked the pad and she runs straight as an Arrrrow and handles great!

froggy

Nose Cone

When I got my boat, it was an evil handling thing at 97+mph. I balanced it, then I modded the pad lip (went from .155" to .060") and had Titus Grisham work my sportmaster gearcase. Now my boat almost takes a set and runs much, much better and more predictably. I still have a work in progress and may end up, like Randy, with zero lip in the center and .060" at the extremeties. My next step is to move my offset from 14.5" to 10.5" and reset engine heights, etc.

Incidentally, the modded sportmaster is as fast as a perfect, bob's coned, 200 case, plus the sportmaster is durable and allows more exhaust out.

froggy

GPI Racing

Froggy,

Kind of like going from "sears best" biased ply tires to a set of good radials wasn't it. Makes you wonder why Darris is so bent on all that set back. Glad to see your on the right track and getting good results.
What model boat do you have?

Randy

ALLISONMAN

AGREEDED ON SETBACK i went back to 14.5" and lost a couple mph and then went back to 13 and found it again with even better holeshot but I think i will even go on in and see what happens and might massage my pad a little more!! of course i need to fix some scapes and gorges in my pad to get it back to perfect again also!!! still want to try one of those gearcase against my sportmaster!!!

froggy

Nosecone

Randy,

I have an XB 2003 that weighs 947 pounds (shipped hull only). When I move my setback in to 10.5" my TOTAL RIG weight will reduce by 45 Pounds because the CMC hydraulic will be on the beach. I'm running a stock 280 with the world's best set of propellers to choose from. My goal is to run 100+ with fishing partner, fishing tackle and all the goodies. Hopefully this will happen fairly soon.

froggy

GPI Racing

Froggy, FYI the 280/Xb2003 loaded running in the form of Dave Bostic's friend John who has such a rig, they are doing the development of the 4 blade Wasp prop and it regularly excedes 100. 105 is the best so far (titus/gpi case on it). They are coming to the 50th and will bring 8 propellers for you guys to try. If you can make it that would be a great opportunity to do a few experiments. Hope to meet most of you guys and have a little fun too.

Randy

wj225

John, AKA Froggy...

John (AKA Froggy), Bill Howard on this end, keep me informed of the progress. P.S. When Dave gets the prop perfected, I need one.

Bill

ally2dextreme

lips

darris test his boats with recomended power thats why the lip and setback is what it is and its faster if you have more power you might be better with a diff set up when we took the windshield off the new boat and called darris to let him know i picked up 5mph he said he saw minimum diff he was using 200 we were using 300 we found the diff and as far as the little red record boat on these last record runs someone who looked just like darris was doing the bottom

GPI Racing

Point is that the little red boat had a VERY DIFFERENT pad. My other point on the Supersport is "how many Ferrari's are sold with the little 4 cylinder engine?". None. Why design a boat for a little engine when 95% are going to put something big on it. I'm not 'dissing Darris, just don't understand that way of thinking. I can count the SS's with small power probably on one hand. The Allison is a world class FAST boat. You buy one because of that, just like a Ferrari. Gas mileage and such don't bring customers in the door. It is what it is.

Randy

S

Scott Gilmore

GPI Racing said:
Point is that the little red boat had a VERY DIFFERENT pad. My other point on the Supersport is "how many Ferrari's are sold with the little 4 cylinder engine?". None. Why design a boat for a little engine when 95% are going to put something big on it. I'm not 'dissing Darris, just don't understand that way of thinking. I can count the SS's with small power probably on one hand. The Allison is a world class FAST boat. You buy one because of that, just like a Ferrari. Gas mileage and such don't bring customers in the door. It is what it is.

Randy
Randy, ALL very good points ! Just wondering...............can you order an SS2000 with dual BEER coolers ?? Scott :lol: