New to me xb2003 w J Smith 225 Promax... Having issues.. Long technical thread warning!

aj06bolt12r

So for those following this thread I believe I got it figured out. Glad I didn't buy a stator. It tested good for CDI specs so I have to assume its a CDI stator. But at the end of the day it seems it was just way too rich on the settings in the Brucatto ACU. Took it to my buddies shop who has a tank and a test wheel so we could load the engine. Tested fuel pressure under load. OK. Tested primary voltage on each coil over 3000 RPM. All OK. But engine didn't sound good. It was smoking like it was on fire and surging, power wasn't even. So once we had some heat in the engine I decided to short the air temp wires together and see if it made any difference with a load and heat in the engine. The thing cleaned right out. Revved snappy, was able to sustain rpm at load with no surging.. it really liked the change. So hooked the air temp wires back up and took 4% out of all settings on the ACU other than accel enrichment. Left that alone. It ran much better like this but still a little surging, roughness to it. So I took 4% more out of part throttle and left the rest alone. Ran pretty well in the tank with those settings so took it to the lake. It was my first time in this boat and first time in any performance pad v bottom. Engine ran great, no funny noises, jumped on pad no problem, sounded like a 2.5 should. I cruised around slow for a while and then started trying to dial in some speed. I chine walked it several times and washed the rub rails good but I managed to balance it on the pad some and got about 70mph out of it. I had my buddy in the boat with me so decided that that was fast enough. I need some seat time by myself so I can figure out how to drive and where the trim and jackplate want to be. I still need to pull the plugs again and make sure #1 is getting some color on the piston crown now. If not I still got some investigation to do.

Reactions: 22R