New to Allison

Mickey3

Hello everyone. Around the first of the year I picked up a nice xb 2002 with a ss 280. Coming from a tunnel v with a 200 that I have owned since new, driving the 02 has been a learning experience. Dave Hensley has been very helpful and hooked me up with some quality used parts, and good information, thank you Dave! I am learning how to drive it more quickly than I expected as the boat was well set up by the previous owner, all I did was bleed the steering and play with motor heights, eventually settling very close to where it was when I purchased it. I have a favorite prop that has run well on a lot of different boats and this 02 handles well with it also. I have been very conservative speed wise as I am gaining seat time, keeping the speeds below 80. Since I do not know the real story behind the motor I am doing a tear down and inspection next week. This forum has been a great place to learn about these wonderful boats.

22R

Welcome to the site. Sorry it is so slow in here, it used to be a busy place.
Enjoy and post some pics of the new 2002 when you get a chance.

22R

Mickey3

If the leak down numbers are good, I expect you could just run the motor with a smile
Great advice. I have a leak down tester ordered, should be in next week. I did pull the exhaust chest cover and looked at the rings. I only see the tiniest bit of gold showing see attached pic. I would really hate to let them get sharp and ruin the nic. What do you think?17869

aj06bolt12r

Very nice! Enjoy the learning curve, super fun boats to drive and that thing will be a rocket when you are ready to stand on it!

I don't know much about the nic motors. Hopefully someone who has some experience will chime in.

Mickey3

Leak down results: 1-2 %
Debating about a refresh now. Looking to locate parts and get an idea of what expense will be involved. Just thought I would post a picture of my fishing boa.

Attachments

Reactions: 22R

xb03

Leak down results: 1-2 %
Debating about a refresh now. Looking to locate parts and get an idea of what expense will be involved. Just thought I would post a picture of my fishing boa.
1-2% leak down is perfect, I wouldn’t be concerned until over 8%.

Mickey3

It's cheaper to tear it down early before anything is hurt...
I totally agree. Rodney Nance in Hixon TN just let me know my pistons are in, I will pick them up on Wednesday, looks like Promarine has rod bolts in stock so I should be able to get everything I need fairly soon. Thank you for the advice. Here is a pic of the powerhead.

Mickey3

This is why you take a used motor apart: Before I picked up my pistons yesterday I pulled both heads to confirm that all the sleeves are the same material and found that # 6 piston was about to come completely apart. Looks like the previous owner ran it a good while without knowing about # 6. Even with good leak down numbers and a good compression check, including on # 6, nothing beats a visual inspection. Some how the nic. and the head appears to be undamaged. I feel very fortunate. I will try and update this build in a few weeks, If I need to have the nicom redone, it maybe be a month or two.
I want to say thank you for all the good advice on this forum. Facebook is busier but most people here, that comment on things, seem to know their stuff. Thank you for saving this motor!17897

Mickey3

This is why you take a used motor apart: Before I picked up my pistons yesterday I pulled both heads to confirm that all the sleeves are the same material and found that # 6 piston was about to come completely apart. Looks like the previous owner ran it a good while without knowing about # 6. Even with good leak down numbers and a good compression check, including on # 6, nothing beats a visual inspection. Some how the nic. and the head appears to be undamaged. I feel very fortunate. I will try and update this build in a few weeks, If I need to have the nicom redone, it maybe be a month or two.
I want to say thank you for all the good advice on this forum. Facebook is busier but most people here, that comment on things, seem to know their stuff. Thank you for saving this motor!View attachment 17897
Update: Took motor apart and measured the bores and they are in spec with the exception of 6 and 4, they are a bit out of round. Plus the nic is scored in two bores that catch your finger nail. US Chrome will no longer accept blocks from individuals, so I asked Michael Clemmons in Augusta to double check my measurements and address anything that it needs before he sends it to be replated. Plus he is making upper sleeve supports for his race customers that he will add to this block. I will show some pics of those when I get it back. Here is a picture of #6 piston. While waiting I will paint the cowl and mid section.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow, never seen one do that. Looks like you caught it all in time though before it really blew up. You're right about the visual, I think people put too much faith in the leakdown test.