new personal best-some setup and motor adjustments

jas638

Banned
went up to 1/8-1/4 above,call it 3/16 :) forgot that when i setup the 15 i set it 1/2 below the pad. it was really holding me back. and hooked up a ddt and leaned it out a bit from the super fat breakin setting it was still on :) had a buddy of mine trick out my sporty a little,put the hoss super thin 14.5x29 triton on it went for a top end balls out run .heres the result.....

Attachments

jas638

Banned
Sounds good. What kind of RPM was that?
i barely got a look at the tach on that top end i was to busy driving the boat,:gasp keeping an eye on what i could, the trim gauge -didnt want to blow it out,but the peek i could get saw the needle around 7800-8000. everything was shaken pretty good there was a little chop.it was a little scary .boat was very "floaty".:gasp

K.Kiser

Oh man, when the hull gets up on ball bearings like that its definitely a satisfaction undeniable.. It's like riding a dirtbike wheelie on a gravel road..

whipper

Thats wicked fast Jas!! 109 is the fastest GS with a 2.5 on the planet I would say. Way to go. Theres nothing like a thin prop for top end until they crack.:big grin Just make sure ya inspect that prop if you ever try it again. There not good for to many of those type of runs. Well worth the cost to get that number though. Full thickness prop ya should be 104-106 no probs set up like ya have her now. Very very impressive power for sure to make that speed. oh ya and driving SKILLS!!:cool:

jas638

Banned
maybe hard too tell from the pic whip but, it was 108 but if ya wanna call it 109 i am ok with that too. :) o, and yer right i do keep a close eye on that blade .i check it every time.

ziemer

Nice run. ;) Height makes a huge difference in speed... Stay safe up there!

XXXR2001

Thats the fastest GS I've ever heard of. I think for most owners it's a case of limited nut size not necessarily boat capability. You must have a custom made seat to tote your balls.:gasp Very impressive!:beer:

Dave Hensley

Just think what you could do in a 2014 XR2002!!!!! Just could not resist that one. 108 in any outboard boat is getting it done. Takes a while for the pucker string to relax after a run like that.

DOUBLE J

went up to 1/8-1/4 above,call it 3/16 :) forgot that when i setup the 15 i set it 1/2 below the pad. it was really holding me back. and hooked up a ddt and leaned it out a bit from the super fat breakin setting it was still on :) had a buddy of mine trick out my sporty a little,put the hoss super thin 14.5x29 triton on it went for a top end balls out run .heres the result.....
Congrats on your new best. I'm on my second Grandsport. The first I could get 105 w/ 2. The second so far I have ran 107 with 2. I found that to get those #'s I had to raise the motor above the pad also. It would barely bust a 100 w/ 2 @ 1/4 below the pad but as soon as I went up above the pad the speeds picked up. I have a 28 Hoss Triton that I will have to try for top end also. All the mph #'s I quoted came running a 28 Lightning ET. Congrats again and be safe. I also notice once I get above about 105 the slowing down becomes the issue (feels real floaty).

Last edited:

suicidealli

You guys becareful runing those numbers... The grand sport punches a big hole in the air, and can be a handful.... The higher you go the more dangerous it is for all you guys reading this, and ready to raise your motors up!!!! JMO
Again great numbers...

Roy

bigtis

I also notice once I get above about 105 the slowing down becomes the issue (feels real floaty).
Because the boat is "what some of us call running down on the lip" the setup starts working where the tip of the Lu is surfacing the water leaving from under the pad. The gear case starts stern lifting with the lip which is why you'll feel the bow lay down around a certain speed. With your setup probably around 96-102. Each setup and boat will lay down at a different speed. The bow doesn't lay down as much as it feels, because the asz end lifts. Once it runs down on the lip it becomes more efficient and has a lot less drag which is why it decelerates less. And the gear case is surfaced vs. the Lu dragging where the water line is even or a tad above center the props shaft or the tip of the nose depending on where its mounted on the case.

If you can run fast enough or video a good enough shot from the side you can see a boat that runs big numbers lay down on the lip. The water spray clears up under the boat and the angle of attack gets real flat but dry.