New Mercury 175 Pro XS

ARLIN

Will there be that much interest in this one by Allison owners? Pricey at $11,800.

175 Pro XS model seems to be a consumer bassboat type engine without solid mounts and apparently does not turn that many RPMs. Might be suitable with solid mounts for the SS-2000 or as a famliy, ski Grand Sport? See Allison's website warning about no 3.0L on SS-2000, 390 lbs limit. 175 Pro XS weight is 431 lbs.

badbait

Well if Darris doesn't want a 175 Pro XS on the SS2000 I guess that pretty well puts them off the map for a dealer to sell one with a new motor. I have to think he would allow them on a SS2000. I did some setup work on a SS2000 with a 200XS. That ended up being one sweet handling boat. I mounted it 5" off the transom and when I drove it the first time it just felt perfect. Great holeshot and very fast. Just needed a little lip adjustment to give it back the bow lift it lost by coming in so close to the transom with the motor. The boat ended up being very well balanced and easy to drive.

Bman

Banned
The 175 would be a sweet lil mota on the SS.But if the 175 is too much weight how come a 200xs is..I thought the 200xs weighs 430lbs.

Lotus 50

I spoke to Jim Barnes when he was with Allison about SS2000 motors. He said that the XS200 was at the outer limit for weight, which would make the 175XS within the limit.

A 175XS would need solid mounts and a nose cone, but would be a great motor. For me, regular fuel would be enough of a bonus to offset the 25 HP of the 200XS.

For me, a new cottage (old one is falling down) is a bigger priority than a better motor than my old XR4. But it's fun to think about it.

The Cashew Kid

I thought the new 175 was a 2.5 litre engine:confused::confused::confused:seems like I heard someone say that.............maybe. I guess time for some research.

The Cashew Kid

"the 175 Pro XS delivers the same remarkable performance to smaller-boat owners in a lightweight 2.5L package."

(Jul 31, 2007) - Mercury starts production of new OptiMax 175 Pro XS Outboard Engine

FOND DU LAC, Wis.

chasintail

I recently drove an ss 2000 with the new 175 XS opti engine(brand new demo boat) swinging a 26 chopper with a stock lower unit, great power good acceleratation..It was the worst chine walking boat I have ever been in.Found out the skeg was bent afterwards.Guess I'm no help.Very quiet engine and awesome fuel mileage.The boat would carve up the twisties so hard you could hardly stay in the seat.I was not able to drive the boat over 60.The dealer (a good friend of mine) was able to run in the mid 70s with rev limiter banging out.He had trouble controling the boat also.Remember the skeg was bent.Fine rig though.:cool Can't wait to try it when it fixed.:beer:

GotMyAlly

I recently drove an ss 2000 with the new 175 XS opti engine(brand new demo boat) swinging a 26 chopper with a stock lower unit, great power good acceleratation..It was the worst chine walking boat I have ever been in.Found out the skeg was bent afterwards.Guess I'm no help.Very quiet engine and awesome fuel mileage.The boat would carve up the twisties so hard you could hardly stay in the seat.I was not able to drive the boat over 60.The dealer (a good friend of mine) was able to run in the mid 70s with rev limiter banging out.He had trouble controling the boat also.Remember the skeg was bent.Fine rig though.:cool Can't wait to try it when it fixed.:beer:

If that boat had a stock lower unit.....I'm sure it was a bear to drive. That thing needs a cone/lwp to run anywhere near it's full potential. With the LU buried deep enough to keep water pressure with a stock lower unit, I'm sure it was ill-handling.

TN XB-21

What is the difference between the regular Optimax 175 and the Optimax 175 Pro XS??

When I compared the specs on line at the Mercury site the only differences shown are one (1) kW @ prop, and plus 250 top end rpm.

Would this really make a big difference in performance?:confused:

There really is something wrong with that SS 2000 with the new 175 Pro XS. My "lead sled" ( 2007 XB-21 2+2 Elite) with the regular Optimax 175 will run 70 mph. Must be a heck of a bend in that skeg:LMAO:!!!

XSive

What is the difference between the regular Optimax 175 and the Optimax 175 Pro XS??

When I compared the specs on line at the Mercury site the only differences shown are one (1) kW @ prop, and plus 250 top end rpm.

Would this really make a big difference in performance?:confused:

There really is something wrong with that SS 2000 with the new 175 Pro XS. My "lead sled" ( 2007 XB-21 2+2 Elite) with the regular Optimax 175 will run 70 mph. Must be a heck of a bend in that skeg:LMAO:!!!
The guy said it was hitting the limiter.

ARLIN

All good information. In my original post I was assuming that the SS-2000 could just handle the weight of the 175 Pro XS and the weight would be no problem for a Grand Sport. Seems to be what everone is saying. And, that you would have to go to solid mounts to be able to drive either one.

Wonder if the 175 Pro XS with solid mounts would push my 21 XTB 75 mph, light with driver only?

Also was looking for comments on price of this upgrade. Looks to be around $2,800 more than say a regular 150 Optimax. They do charge for H/P.

Darth VMAX

I think you could find better motors (ie more HP) for your XTB. Nice thing about the 21ft boats, they don't have the big block "issue".

Last edited:

ARLIN

Yes the 21 XTB is a versatile one. I have a 2.5L 1998 150 Super Mag (Pro Max) that pushes it 70-72 with a stock Laser II, 26", 2.0 Torque Master. And, 72-74 with a thin cupped Laser II 26" that I put on every now and then. (Lack of passenger wind protection at very high speeds and general family and fishing use are the reasons for staying with my 150 on the XTB)

Every time I ask Glenn or Jeff at RRM about a 200XS or 2.5XS or something hotter they say ah you don't have to work on yours. True--in 8.5 years I haven't turned a single nut or screw or even replaced the plugs on the powerhead itself. Have run through 2-3 water pumps and replaced lower unit grease with Klotz.

By the way the 225 Pro Max is still one of Glenn's favorites and would be good for my 21 XTB.

And as additional information for the few with stock water pickups, Steven at RRM installed some Mercury "earmuffs" or little plates on my standard side water pickup 150 Super Mag which have given me slightly more water pressure and more importantly consistent water pressure in all RPM ranges. Much better cooling on very hot days. You do have to keep the driftwood cleaned out of them. Also note that RRM uses larger mounting screws on the earmuffs as the stock Mercury jobs shear off easily. Finally you don't want to flare them out too much and over do the increased water pressure.

chasintail

There really is something wrong with that SS 2000 with the new 175 Pro XS. My "lead sled" ( 2007 XB-21 2+2 Elite) with the regular Optimax 175 will run 70 mph. Must be a heck of a bend in that skeg:LMAO:!!![/QUOTE]

It was red lineing really bad.He said the boat needed a 27 or 28 and they are currently installing a sport master LU.I will take some pictures of the rig and give you guys a report when the upgrades are done.Only thing is I don't have a hand held GPS so speeds will be by the speedo.

badbait

I have run 98.3 with the same boat with a 200XS. If setup for topend numbers with a 30 it should run a little over 90. I was running an inch above the pad so that I could spin a 32 just short of the limiter which was 6500. I'm not sure what the limiter is on the 175.

brotherxb03

I had those S/S plates on a hydrostream varmit bass boat years ago. Had to get in the water a few time and take them off the grass was wedged so tight in them.

chasintail

I have run 98.3 with the same boat with a 200XS. If setup for topend numbers with a 30 it should run a little over 90. I was running an inch above the pad so that I could spin a 32 just short of the limiter which was 6500. I'm not sure what the limiter is on the 175.

I'm pretty sure its 6200RPM

Darth VMAX

Chasintail,

I am curious as to why you are installing a SM on your set-up? I would think that it will only slow you down with the increased drag.
if you are only running 70 the stock l/u isn't near its blow-out speed.

DOUBLE J

Not to call chasintail out but... the SS he's talking about is running my 26 jaco cut et. It ran 82 on the Allison speedo the first day out so... and this is coming from the owners mouth. This is with his girlfriend and two kids in the boat!!

Lotus 50

Jaco's prices
175XS = $11779
175 Optimax = $11392
The XS is a no brainer, if that were the comparison.

175XS recommended rpm = 5500-6000
6000 with a 32" wheel = 87.5 by my prop calculator
http://www.rbbi.com/folders/prop/propcalc.htm

175 recommended rpm 5250-5750
5750 with a 32" wheel = 83.9 by my prop calculator

On the other hand, if I kept my XR4 gearcase, and sold the gearcase from the 175XS with the XR4...1.78 gears, I could do over 90 with a 32" prop. I bet the 175XS could do that on an SS2000.