New Member Question

msagro

I have come across a 1995 XB-2003 that is in pretty rough shape. The seat covers are bad, the red and black are sun faded to the point of chalk. The bottom has quite a few scratches from fishing in the brush. It is on a single axle traler that is only ok but the bunks are still good so it is supporting the hull good. The motor is a Mariner 2.5L Offshore and has a hydraulic jack plate on it. One more thing there has been a repair made on the bottom I am pretty sure as the paint is peeling off on the pad. They are asking 6000.00 for the boat and I am just curious if it is worth cleaning up and fixing up. I have never owned an Allison, I drag boat raced for years in Flattbottoms and know that these boats were always fast. I would be using the boat for fishing and general play at the lake. Any sugguestions would be appreciated.

GotMyAlly

I'd want more information on the pad repair. Done wrong....that could be a nightmare to make it right again.

h2oskiier30

Exactly what kind of 2.5L Offshore are we talking about? If it's a 260/280 that's in good running condition, just the motor is worth at least $6000. If it's one of the old 200 painted block "offshore" models, it's worth substantially less than that.

Like GotMyAlly said...unless you're looking for a huge headache, you'd better ask some more questions regarding the pad on that boat.

msagro

Thanks for the responses so far. Can you give me any ideas what I am looking for as far as the pad repairs go or what kind of questions to ask?

thanks

msethsmile

Funny Guy
msagro--
I bought a severely sun faded red/black xb03 some years back. Your first concern is the structural integrity of the hull. Does the transom have cracks in it, particularly at the top? Take the handle end of a screwdriver and tap on the pad. Does the sound vary from place to place? It should be a constant solid sound. Usually, these are not a problem on Allisons but check anyway.

The gel is the next area. Everything like carpet, gel, seats, rubrails can be fixed. I am not aware of a Allison guru in your area that fixes gel. The pad is touchy. There's a gel guy just east of Harrison on Hwy 7. Red and black are the worst two colors for fading/checking. I had to paint the sides of my 03 because wet sanding wouldn't help.

Interior and carpet can get pricey. Last I knew pre-cut carpet was over $700 installed. The seat covers are $200 a pop. Call Allison (Bill) to get sure prices. If the seat covers are unusable, I have some used ones you can borrow. ( gray, black and red) There are several guys in the SE that re-fresh Allisons as well as the factory. $6k sounds reasonable for that rig. To refurbish? $2-3k can go in a hurry. If you can do it yourself, all the better.

I get to Pomme de Terre and Tablerock several times a year.

h2oskiier30

If you can do the carpet yourself, the pre-cut kit from Allison is $390 + shipping. I just got my kit in yesterday...$420 to my door.

aaronmt

I did the carpet on my Gransport,and thats alot harder with crawling up in there.Maybe take a bit of rubbing compound with you to just get an idea how bad it really is.I helped a buddy work on his allison a while back that did alot of sitting.Youd be amazed how it looks now.Once you get the old carpet out get in there scrub everything a few times pressure washer it out and leat it drain.Then wet sand the whole the outside,it is an exhausting labor for sure.Like others said Id have to have a look at the pad for sure,all this might be done for no reason if the pad is very bad.Put some pics up Im sure others can tell ya bout the pad.Aaron

jpxb2003

Id ask about the pad like the others have suggested, but just cause it has paint on it doesn't mean that its been repaired. Some people primer and sand the bottom thinking it is going to make them faster. With an rotary polisher you could probably make the boat look pretty good.

badbait

My 2 cents. If your handy and have the time plus don't want to spend much more than$5,000 to $6,000 to start. This could be the Allison for you especially if you do a compression check and there all pretty even. Personally I would rather spend $10,000 to $13,000 for one that year that has been well cared for. You may be in this one that much by the time your done.

Fishforcash

I think you have answered your own question. Peeling paint on the pad usually spells for a bad repair. Granted the XB2003 platform is a perfect fit for what you want to do but I think there are some good deals on better cared for boats out there.

I've never been one for projects but I think this one might be something to either have a expert lay close eyes on or walk away. I'd rather pay a little more for a well taken care of hull and make it better. The end result will be much more rewarding.

whipper

My 2 cents. If your handy and have the time plus don't want to spend much more than$5,000 to $6,000 to start. This could be the Allison for you especially if you do a compression check and there all pretty even. Personally I would rather spend $10,000 to $13,000 for one that year that has been well cared for. You may be in this one that much by the time your done.
I agree. I always figure if a guy didnt give a crap about the boat he probably didnt care to much about the motor if it just ran. There are exceptions to every rule though. 3-4 grand more and like BadBait said your into an 03 that looks and performes like new. Just Bring her home and go.
They realy dont requie that much maintanance to keep looking like new. Its just a matter of washing her after use or when there dirty with good quality cleaners and wax once every one or two months during boating season depending on use.

pops

Truman Fibergalss in Garden City is about the only place close as fas as quality fiberglass/gel work. My XB2003 is the only Allison they have ever worked on but they do factory warranty repair for some other mfgs.My pad had a poor fix when I got the boat. I took it to them talked about the lip and what it did and they put it back to factory specs. I've taken it to them for scatches a couple of times and have alway been very happy with their work. Paula is the owner and Justin does the work. Performance Fiberglass in Coal, Mo is ran by a guy named Scott. He used to manage Truman Fiberglass,. He also does good work. If you get it going bring it to Truman. I'm there every weekend.