New look and sound for the Super Mag, 20" smoothback o/s mid

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got a deal on a 20" smoothback offshore can the other day that I just couldn't pass up. It was black so I had to get some paint. I took my cowl over to the paint shop and they used their little camera scanner and mixed it up. I was really surprised how bad the factory paint job was when I was prepping it. Uneven, runs, flaking off in places. Kinda sad for such a high dollar piece.

Anyway, got it all painted up and put on yesterday, went for a lake test today and everything worked great. You can hear the motor now, haha! It's not too bad though. I'm curious to see what putting a plate in the snout does.

Doing the swap was pretty straight forward except for 2 things. I swapped the front set of powehead studs for 2 shorter ones, so now all 4 long ones are the same length. The other issue was the 3 bolts that hold the adapter plate(s) to the mid. I stayed with my 2 piece plates. There were 3 studs in there but they weren't long enough. I had to use 7/16-14 bolts 3 1/2" long because the threads were about one size larger than on the bass mid. Other than that it all bolted right together and looks about as good as you'll get in my opinion.

procomp

did you have to drill out the 2 piece adapter to get the 3-1/2" long bolts through and into the offshore mid? looks great

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
did you have to drill out the 2 piece adapter to get the 3-1/2" long bolts through and into the offshore mid? looks great
Thanks! It was really close on the bolts but I just spun 'em with the ratchet as I pressed down and they slid in. There's no slop in there though.

Waterboy334

You beat me to it, was still in the considering/thinking mode when it went pending. Good deal though. Looks awesome! I may lean toward a 15" though.

rmills280

looks good, I took the plate out of mine shortly after I bought it and couldn't tell any diff. in sound.

Jon

Supporting Member
What kind of gun did you shoot it with? I need a new one.