New Jackplate ordered.

fenwayfear

I ordered a new 14" Rapid Jackplate from Hydro Dynamics. Looking ahead what needs to be done to uninstall and install the new JP. Someone in previous thread mentioned taking the gas tank out. It look like you just unbolt the old and bolt on and seal the new one.
:confused:
Some info:

Boat: XB2003
Motor: 1998 ProMax 225
Old JP: 10" Allison manual plate
New JP: 14" Rapid Jack from Hyrdo Dynamics

fenwayfear

Do you have knowledge of installing a Rapid Jackplate on your 1994 xb03? If so can you explain to me the process. Never installed a JP before.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you have a lifting eye for the motor? It should be as simple as taking the weight off the motor, unbolt the motor, unbolt the jackplate from the transom. Put some sealer around the bolts on the transom, bolt the new jack plate to the boat, boat the motor to the jackplate.

Make sure you mount motor high enough on the jack plate that your steering will clear when the motor is tipped up.
You might want to measure how high the motor currently is so you can set it up about the same with the new jack plate for starters.

SLOmofo

Re: New Jack plate ordered.

A little.
Remove prop.
Trim the engine so it's vertical.
You might check the prop shaft height. Just so you can start with a known. It's going to be different because the further back the further up it will have to be because of the downward angle of the transom.
Disconnect the battery.
Remove cowl.
Attach sling, chain, twine to raise engine.
Position engine under hoist, tree limb, ceiling joists (Whipper tore his garage apart to do this).
Disconnect the battery.
Now your going to see how much slack you'll have in all the things that connect boat to the engine. Steering cables or Hyd hoses, electrical wiring looms, fuel system, etc.... You need enough room to get the old JP off and the new one on. Your probably going to have to PRY the old JP off so make sure you'll have enough room.
Disconnect the battery.
Jack it up enough to take the weight of the engine off the boat/trailer. Your not lifting the boat off the trailer, just the engine.
Loosen the fasteners that hold the engine to the jack plate, back them off 1/2" or so and see what happens. You'll probably have to raise or lower the engine to get it to move away, it will probably cock at an angle because the lift point won't be centered to the weight. You'll have to give it a shake. Once the engine is supported you can loosen the fasteners more and more. Just make sure it makes small movements and doesn't get bound up.
Disconnect the battery.
Now the engine should be separated from the boat/JP. Carefully move the two pieces apart. You have 500 pounds hanging there! A engine hoist on smooth concrete is a plus, sorta hard the move the tree, house, but Whippers done it, ABC!

Take the nuts off the old JP and remove it from the boat. A lot of times easier said than done. Clean the old sealant off and the grunge. Get the buffer out and .....

Sealer
Anti seize on any stainless to stainless or you'll be VERY sorry.
Loctite
Simple Green

Ask the person at Rapid Jack if they are going to relieve the very top of the JP where it presses against the Aluminum trim that covers the seam between the top cap and hull. I've had to cut a step for this before.
Can they make it a 12" and 14" ? Thinking about in the future.

When your putting the upper boat to Rapid jack nut on be aware the studs and nut are close to the cross shaft. Too close to put the JP flat against the boat and then start the nuts. On mine I have to start the nuts then as I'm threading them on move the JP closer. Just put a little smear of sealer around the studs. Locktite the stud/nut.

Position the engine. Now your going to have to decide which engine holes your going to use that will allow the jack plate to be adjusted both higher and lower once it's all back together. Bolt it back up.
Connect the battery.

Search: Prop Shaft Height. Mark your jack plate and trim guage. Any time you change things recheck the PSH, Right Whipper! :big grin

Last edited:

FlatOutAlly

..... Never installed a JP before.
Don't take this wrong, but you should find a reputable dealer/rigger who services high performance boats on a regular basis and have them do it for you. These are not Lunds, Larsons, Rangers, or you pick another one. These are boats with a real short fuse. A rigging error? You don't want one.

Last edited:

SLOmofo

SLOmofo ...... I think you made me shart myself. !!!! LMAO .
What ever do you mean, have I crossed any unwritten boundary's, not given the proper hand shake, twisted the wrong nipples? Or me, being a hunt and pecker?

O, by the by my spell checker replaces your shart for my shat. So glad i could oblige, send the bill to Whipper. :beer:

fenwayfear

Thanks SloMo for expanded detail of the install. Sounds like it should not be to difficult. I do have access to shop with all the right tools. I will post some pics when I am finished with the JP swap.

fenwayfear

Talked to Geroge at Hydro today and he is going to cut a notch for the metal strip that runs on top of the transom(SloMo had suggested that I ask about this).

The Allison plate does NOT have this notch.

fenwayfear

Where the top transom bolts on the 94' 9/16 or 1/2" like lower ones. If they are 1/2" on top how would I go about changing them to 9/16" with taking out the tank?

LakeAnna

I checked today with Hydro Dynamics on there Rapid Jack the 12 inch. I told them it was for an Allison and they priced it at 375 and shipping. I think when I talked to Lee Sanderson he told me the Allison one was close to 500.
I need a plate so I have to do one or the other. Any suggestions on other sources for a nice manual plate?