New Grandsport owner

SteveO

I bought a used grandsport earlier this fall. I have a whole lot of questions.
First one: Does anyone have a picture of a mechanical trim guage installed in a GS dash?

JR

Since I have the 15" midsection I did not have a trim sender. I installed an OMC outdrive trim sending unit with a flexible rubber arm that I attached to the proximity arm. It works great with my Allison dashboard Trim Indicator.
You will love your Grandsport!
JR

ziemer

SteveO said:
I bought a used grandsport earlier this fall. I have a whole lot of questions.
First one: Does anyone have a picture of a mechanical trim guage installed in a GS dash?
Unfortunately, I don't have one in mine. But... don't fret, you really don't need one. you will soon learn to use your butt as a guage. :shock: :grin: :grin:

Good luck with it, and don't be afraid to ask questions. ;)

whipper

guage

Like Ziemer said I dont use one. The but meter you will learn to trust. I think you get to know your boat better without. Prop hight is the important one for me. Like JR said you will love the muti purpose of the GS. James

On Tap

Trim Guage

Congrats on the GrandSport purchase SteveO!

I've had many boats with and without a trim indicator/gauge. I can totally run my Allison SuperSport by "the seat of my pants" however, I really like the StainlessMarine Trim Indicator I installed two seasons ago!!!

To know where your trim is with just a glance at the gauge, is really nice to have!

Sorry I don't have any pics of an install on a GrandSport. Those things have a ton of room though, must be several places to install a trim indicator! Just try to keep it somewhere you'll see it at a quick glance without having to take your eyes off the water very long. :shock:

gselite2000

Tell me how to post a pic and I will provide a picture.

In the mean time, buy a stainless marine trim indicator. If you intend to race the Grand Sport like I did mine, forget the seat of the pants stuff.

You need to be able to set that thing in the right place as soon as possible. Yes the Grand Sport will lean left or right depending on whether you are trimmed to high or too low, but racing depends on getting it correct quick.

Scott

SteveO

trim

I'm not planning to race, but would like to know where the engine is without looking back over my shoulder.

I've put several hours on it and managed OK without a trim guage. But even just idling around the docks, I'd like to know where the engine is without looking back.

The boat came with a chopper II. Is this a suitable prop?

gselite2000

Here is what I did for props for my Grand Sport. First I bought a new, real 30 ET for $850.00. Obviously I did not know what I was doing. Real Mercury ETs are great props, but if you want various props for various reason, it gets real expensive real quick.

Buy Big ear choppers. Check your sources and make sure they are reputable. I got ripped a couple of times.

Once you have a good chopper, send it to Performance Props, Tillman, or JC, and tell them what you are running, what your intended purpose is, and that you think you want an ET cut. They will advise you, but will probably tell you to go to an ET cut since you are running a Grand Sport.

This way, you pick up a Chopper in the $200 to $300 range, spend $125 to $175 having it cut, for a total of $325 to $475 for a great prop.

Chopper IIs are nice, but don't let that be a factor, fixed hubs are good as well.

I had several done that way and they were all great. I still have two of them (both are fixed hubs) that I currently run on my SS2000.

Scott

whipper

gs

Steve the chopper 11 is good depending on what power your running. I love my 28 drag 4 for all round skiing and tubbing and general go fast with out changing props. With my 225 ProMax top speed running lighter load stuff the DAH Allycut 30 chopper is good for 93mph. I have a 25 trophy that I dont even bother with because the Drag is just as good at carrying a load and is faster top end at around 85-6 most of the time.like Pinky always says" ya can never try to many props". If ya need a guage the stainless marine one is the one to get. Ive seen them installed above the steering colom bellow the water presure guage or over on the port dash. What is your set up? motor, set back ect.. And GSElite, under general there are pic posting instructions at the top of that forum. James

SteveO

set up

The engine is a 280 on 5 or 6" setback. (I haven't measured it)

My previous experience with choppers was not all that great. I had a DAH tuned SRX on my other boat. This was a sweet running prop. I then bought a merc chopper and sent it DAH. Compared to the SRX the chopper slipped bad on launch, and would get you all out of shape if you let off too quickly. Later went to a Hackney drag copy, which was another sweet running well mannered prop.

So this chopper II seems to pretty good on the allison, but based on my previous experience I cant help but wonder if something with less blade area like a drag or et would be better handling.

I will probably go with the stainless guage. Was hoping to see photo's of installed gauge. and GSE2000 - I have no clue how to post pictures here.

Jay Smith used to make a surface mounted trim guage that would work well, but apparently doesn't offer it anymore.

So now question #3.....what happens when a 280 on an allison hits the rev limiter? does the 280 rev limiter come on soft or hard?

whipper

Read under {props} around the 8th post down by 2fast4mom. GSE 280 hydomotive prop. Ive been serching for pics of a guag on a gs but came up empty. Some one will post ya a pic. May be pm 2fast he may have one on his gs or know who does. With a 280 your probably right about the et over the chopper11 because the way the power band is. I know that with a 225 the chopper11 is suposed to work best. James

ziemer

Re: set up

SteveO said:
So now question #3.....what happens when a 280 on an allison hits the rev limiter? does the 280 rev limiter come on soft or hard?
Not fun.

Especially when you're not expecting it. The rev limiter hits hard enough to let the bow drop, and if you let off too much you will definitely go around in a circle. :shock: :shock: :grin:

gselite2000

If you want to try a drag prop like a Yamaha drag, BORROW one. They will not lift the bow.

Try it to satisfy your curiosity, but it will not work (my opinion from my attempt at it).

Based upon what you are saying in these posts, I am beginning to think a 4 blade from Performance is going to scratch your itch.

Scott

SteveO

So, nobody is saying the chopper II is a disaster or is going to come back to bite me. I'll resist the urge to run out and spend more money. I'm doing enough of that already. I'll just drive it with the chopper for a while. By the way, more set up info - the propshaft is ~1/2 above the bottom.

whipper

SteveO

At 1/2 above your good with a light load. With a couple of passengers and or gear 1/4-1/2 below works good. If your concerned with hitting the limitter hard dont run above even light. Skydog had a fast GS 103mph he swears by the Hoss triton with his 280. Ziemer I think uses a Hoss also. The chopper11 works best with a 225 because they have a much broader power band than the 260-280. You need to get your rpms up to make power more. Im thinking that a regular Chopper,Hoss, Et style prop would help you spin er up better than a chopper11 with a 280. I may be off base but thats the way it looks to me. With my 225PM im trying to get my top speed in the 6500-6700 rpm range and a 30 chopper11 fits that bill. Big blade area. Try a 28Hoss then a 28et then your chopper11 in the same day and see for your self, right everything down. You would be able to sell or trade your chopper11 in a minute for a hoss or Et on this site because lots of guys running 225,s and there hard to find second hand. James

SteveO

Sell it? I just collect them, not sell them. I probably have 5 nice props out in the garage that I won't use again. Totally irrational.

Thanks for the feedback.

Skydog

Skydog had a fast GS 103mph he swears by the Hoss triton

Right on man!!! I spun so many wheels on my GS the Hoss was so much better EVERY were!!! hole-MID-top!!Loaded-emty. I had a hot 260!

Thank you SKydog :grin:

Allison's Allison

I agree with the Hoss on the grandsport. My first GS had a 260 on it and my last one had a drag. Between the two I ran many props, et's, chopper II's, Hosses and mazcos. The Hoss Hyperdrive was always my fav. 105 was not a problem. Still have the prop, probably gonna sell it cause my present drag motor is the big shaft.