New 280 going on this Sat

Jockey Up

????

Ok GUYS, tell me something, I was tolded that the 225 Promax or lets say a 225X, has more lowend torque than a 280, I was going to buy a 2.5, when I got the 225X, I was talked out of it, by a dealer. Now I am pushing a 19'-5'' Stratos that weighs 1350, The dealer tolded me the 2.5 didn't make enough lowend torque to get the boat going and said I would have very hard time finding a prop that would get me in the RPM's I would need to be running at. The reason I am asking is what some you said.
I have had 200, 225 Pro Max, and 280 on my XB2002, and nothing comes close to the 280 in hole shot, mid range, and top end, except maybe for sure the 300 drag. Butch Leslie
Performance across the board is incredible and it spools up way faster than a ProMax.

Come guys tell me did I make a bad choice by getting the 225X over the 280, because I really wanted the 280.... :(

Jockey Up :)

ALLISONMAN

THE X IS a great fishing motor and smooth idling motor - the 280 idles a little higher and has more power from dead stop to 7750!!! you rdealer told you wrong on the accellartion the 280 will flat out smoke the 225x because you have a 1000 more rpms so you can run a smaller pitch prop and still keep your top end!!! ask lou, yeller, or anyone else that went from a promax to a 280 and they wil tell ya!!!!

deadeye99

I hope to be able to answer that question this weekend!!!!! Bob

Skywagon

Jockey,

I've only had a 260 and a 280 on my allison. I've never owned an X motor but I have a good friend with a 2004 225X. I have driven his boat, which is identical to mine. Like Allisonman said, it idles great and makes a great high-po lake/fishing motor. But, it's a whole lot more than just your average 225 or 250 horse efi. It's a well behaved, high tech hot rod.

That being said, it does not compare to a stock 280. The 280 has greater throtle response and really puts you in the seat when you mash the loud pedal. It makes a 28 pitch prop feel like a drag prop. It has it's draw backs though. High idle, fuel consumption and shifter quircks. It's certainly not a turn key, leave it alone and forget about it engine. If I had a fishing boat that spent most of it's time fishing or skiing, then I would go for the 225X. That's not what I do though, which made the 280 great for me.

Bill

brotherxb03

That is shure a pretty bad ass looking mota. I had a land and sea jack plate that I had to go thru twice because it couldn't buck the tork of a carb-225. Supprised it will work on a 280.

deadeye99

It only has 200 hours with my 225 pmax but it's tight and has not given me any trouble. What problems did you have? Who makes the best plate now? Bob

froggy

Jockey Up,

Your dealer may have pointed you in the right direction, if your motor is a 3.0 liter. The Stratos is harder to push than say a Bullet or an Allison and the 2.5 likes to rev freely and not strain for long periods, even though it will put out torque. You probably have a much more trouble free setup for your boat.

Just my $.02

froggy

Jockey Up

Yeah Froggy the Stratos is harder to push an a Bullet or Allison, I love the 225X, it rockets the boat out of the hole and screams on topend. I am turning a 26 Boger Trophy right at the limilter. I love to race, I wouldn't mind the extra work it takes to keep up the 280. I can't understand why I was told the 280 wouldn't work on this boat. When I got the boat I put a 200EFI on it and it was a 70 MPH boat and with a 3.0 liter 225 EFI it was a 74 MPH boat, now the 225X pushes it close to 80 with 1 person. So what am saying is the 225X runs so good, than a 280 should run down right awsome...I would think....I wish now I had got one now just to know how well it would run, that was plans my to start with, get a 280 and put 200XS decals on it....LOL

Jockey Up :)