New 280 going on this Sat

deadeye99

Well, I havn't had any luck selling my 96 pmax 225 and I'm tired of waiting. I had hoped to be able to demo it on the boat. So, the new 2005 280 comes out of the crate this week. I am going to run the stock sporty for a while and I'll post the results. I'm gettin exited! Think I'll be able to tell the difference? Bob

deadeye99

I hope shes as good to me as my last 10 or 12 mercs over the years. I have only had good ones dating to the 70's! Bob

Butch Leslie

You will not be able to give us results too quick, as that engine takes a while to break in, and it won't let you stomp the throttle until it is broken in. It won't go over 6000RPM. Best to keep it trimmed all the way down with a large pitch prop. The break in has to be done with a load on the engine, and it times the loaded time against the trimmed time. I lowered mine 2" to keep it loaded. When it finally is ready, hold on. Mine runs over 100, and it gets there real fast. Butch Leslie

deadeye99

Thanks Butch. I am not looking forward to plowing around the lake like an amateur but it must be done. Did you have a smaller motor first for comparison? Bob

Yellowallison

Deadeye...??????

Yu gunna go home slap that PM across the face plate like a redheaed step child once yu get that 280 runnin.. :wink:

hey?? where yu at in Florida??? :?: :?:

deadeye99

Hey Scott. I got a certain yellow boat on my lake to gun for. Remember? Bob

scott mann

That 280 is an animal...Your face will start hurtin' after a while...'cause you'll be grinnin' so big.
Scott

Yellowallison

OH YEA!!! tha right--- HAHAHAH!

Hey.... save me spot on yur beach/dock.. and as soon as I can get my Young 20/300 home from (Amera-Trail) and get it rigged --- I come down to your place for the weeknd and we will go double team'm!!! blow by on each side...

Were ride by with the stero Jamminm -- HERE KITTY KITTY! .. -- boom,, boom,, boom -- HERE KITTY KITTY - boom,, boom,,, boom,, - HERE KITTY KITTY! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

deadeye99

Sounds great. I got a little riggin and breakin in to do first then it's time to rock!

Butch Leslie

I have had 200, 225 Pro Max, and 280 on my XB2002, and nothing comes close to the 280 in hole shot, mid range, and top end, except maybe for sure the 300 drag. Butch Leslie

xb2003

I want one, I want one.....I'm excited for ya bud. One day....I'll have me one.

On Tap

I ran a modified 200 ProMax on my SuperSport for a season, then moved up to the 280. It's unbelievable!! This is the start of my fourth season with the 280 and I still can't believe the performance this set up has.

Performance across the board is incredible and it spools up way faster than a ProMax.

You're gonna love it

deadeye99

Motor is 90% rigged but we had to stop. The lower mount is thicker and my hydraulic jack uses a custom stud. Land and sea. 9\16x12 in the jack and 1\2 for the motor. The old ones were cut too short. Oh well. whats one more week? The motor looks sweet! Bob

Yellowallison

Deadeye.. :!: :!: :!:

when you call L&S and get those studs.. You might want to go ahead and order ya set of Nylon inserts for yur JP slides and replace then now if there sloppy.. easier now than later...

I know soemone who got an older L&S JP cheap if ya want anuther one!

Just a thought.........

HERE KITTY KITTY KITTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...

deadeye99

Nice lookin boat Bill. Scott, The slides don't seem to be loose or worn. I ordered the studs yesterday and they only have a couple left as the jp is discontinued. I wonder if I should get some spare stuff. I would have to change the whole setback setup to go to a different jackplate. I have the 10 12 14 allison plate and the l&s jack takes me back to 14.25. Most are a lot thicker. Should I put a seperate fuel pump switch? The install instructions say it's not nesc. Thanks guys. Bob

Yellowallison

Should I put a seperate fuel pump switch?

Naw! then you forget to turn it off-on... jus go through the keyswitch....

Skywagon

I agree with Yellar. Just wire it up through the key. I've never had a situation yet that needed it wired seperately.

Bill