Need TRU input!!

SLOmofo

When the stator melts the goo gets into where the trigger piviots. That will cause the trigger to stick and therefore the timing will not advance.
Make sure the trigger will move smoothly during assembly, I use silcone spray, not oil or grease on the piviot ring. Oil/grease suck dirt and grit into them causing binding.

Now, be REAL CAREFULL read step by step the Sync and Link. This will be the difference between a smooth idle and correct throttle to advance, or not.

Also: I read you had Big Bore carbs they are VERY critical to jetting. Since the engine hasn't run to it's potental it's very possable your jetting is not correct which could mean once the timing is working correctly the very first run it's going to stick.

These carbs lean out when you lift the throttle just a little. What I did was, wired the choke/inrichener to a switch. The teleflex trim switch in my case.
Anytime you are going to back off the throttle you must hit the switch and listen to the engine to burble/4 stroke. Then back out of the throttle.

This makes for a lot of fun espically in an Allison, one of the reasons I went to EFI. Another reason was the carbs and the lean spot.

baitcaster

Well, got the staider fixed and jetted the carbs down one size and took it for a test run today. With me alone I hit 87.2 and with me and my machanic in the boat just under 85. We will start working on the set up and will have to jet the carbs again, it is still running a little fat. But for the first time in a long time I think we are on the right track. With some improvements in the set up (moving it in some) and repair to the Hydro-Jack and hopefully gages, I will get it moving in line with some of you Merc boys :laughing :laughing :laughing. Got to admit, this is the fastest I had ever drove the boat and I was ridiculously excited. :beer:

fishnfireman

That's more like it....

So it turns out after all the :argue:cuss cuzzinn--discuzzin----theorizing---chastiezzin.....about set up!!!

It was a sick motor all along??

Glad it's going the right way now!!

propmanjay

Glad to here you got it heading in the right direction. Lord knows you got plenty of advice. Sounds like 90 wouldn't be out of reason if top end is your goal.

baitcaster

That's more like it....

So it turns out after all the :argue cuzzinn--discuzzin----theorizing---chastiezzin.....about set up!!!

It was a sick motor all along??

Glad it's going the right way now!!
I guess so. :idiot

Set up is still an issue and some of the advise noted here and something that Bullistic & HDL said here AND BEFORE - to far back - is probably correct and I will start inch-in it in and up, but it was indeed a "sick" mota. My little Johnny-rude had a cold, and looks like he is in recovery :laughing.

If we get it jetted right, the motor a little closer in and up - with the added compression it should pick up a few more mphs. I can say that the mid-range improved considerably and just plain felt good :big grin.

I ran two props today a worked 29 SRX and an unworked SRX. The worked prop handled a little better and had a better whole shot and mid range. The unworked one would prob. had been a little faster, but the handling was to poor so I didn't push it to the limit. It also turned about 50 RPMs higher than the worked one. Conditions were not the greatest today either - it was a bit windy.

Waterdigger

Kan anyone give me sum REEL guidence on this combo???.....

Rex u iz a born raized Merkery man and I must say I heered a fine HI PO formance
Merc mechanic and a dayum good racer!! Bottom line most Merc guys kan't make one
dem BIG DOG OMC's RUN! GOOD LUCK wiff da project!

hack02

Digger, I heard they pulled the cowl off that 2003/OMC combo and there was a lil Lazer hung up in front of the carbs. Done been sucked up in there and impeeding the airflow. Thats why it wasn't running up to snuff. I've heard Rexy's name and A boats mentioned alot here lately. He may be coming over to the hooker side.

sidvishus

Hey Baitcaster, what type of prop is that in the pictures? It looks like a Hill 4 blade ET? How did you like how that handled? If I remember right t-rex was trying one for dragging and seemed to like it...

sid

FLYING BUTCHER

I think I have tried EVERY setup available on a 2003?? Like the Allison factory told ya 14 1/2" set back on jack plate IS the best all around measurment period!! Make sure you are measuring prop shaft (you mentioned nose of lower unit NO measure center of prop shaft when the prop shaft is level-use a small level to make sure it is level) you might find the boat will sit "level" at different jack heights on the trailer depending on the surface the boat trailer is sitting. You can't go wrong IF you start at 1/4" below the pad. Way to many people have done all kinds of testing on these boats to be wrong at these measurments. Before you start sanding-changing props, moving everything around??? these boats will run within a few miles per hour of each other if you just go with what others have found. I know all the testing is fun but sometimes you can just plain spend a helleva lot of money and frustration (although it can be fun) trying to reach that extra mile per hour when the boat really is running darn good with the set up everyone else has found is good, that is if you are really at the measurments they are! Don't mean to preach?? but I sure hae spent a lot of time "testing" only to find these results. Anyway if you are having fun then go for it but if you are really having trouble go to the true and tested measurments.. my 2 cents Have a great Christmas and enjoy the ride IT IS AS GOOD AS THERE IS!!

Waterdigger

Digger, I heard they pulled the cowl off that 2003/OMC combo and there was a lil Lazer hung up in front of the carbs. Done been sucked up in there and impeeding the airflow. Thats why it wasn't running up to snuff. I've heard Rexy's name and A boats mentioned alot here lately. He may be coming over to the hooker side.
Hack I been thinkin' the same thing!!

T-REX

Digger, U an ole Hackyboy brang them Hooker bote's on down ta Houston nex month, an I'll show juss how a lil ole skibote wit a 2liter CHIZLER kan make ya wish U hadda went fish'in!!!!:beer:

Have a good'n boyz!!!:beer:

baitcaster

Hey Baitcaster, what type of prop is that in the pictures? It looks like a Hill 4 blade ET? How did you like how that handled? If I remember right t-rex was trying one for dragging and seemed to like it...

sid
It is a Ron Hill 29 pitch 4 blade ET copy. The prop had been worked by Steve of Steve's Custom Propellers. Prior to the working of the prop, it handled poorly. The prop did not have any bow lift and the cupping was not right for an A boat. After Steve worked the prop, it handled very very nicely. Bow lift and hole shot were improved dramatically. I really liked the prop, but I could not spin it on my 225. Unfortunately, it was prob. the stator that was causing the problem, but none the less I let Hank try the worked prop at Concordia during an APC gathering in October 2007. The prop sang on his 2003 with his 300 hp pro-max. The hole shot and mid range was incredible. After running it and whooping the heck out of Bullistic in a 1/3 mile run he refused to take it off of his boat :shock:. He ended up buying it from me and told me he really likes/enjoys the prop. He stated that a cuple of weeks ago it impressed everyone on Big Creak Lake in S. Al., as well. We both found that the prop handled very well and is easy to drive. I can not speak on all of Ron's props - but highly recommend the Steve worked one I had. Steve did check the balance and pitch prior to working it and was pleased with the specks. Here is a short vid of HD running Bullistic at Concordia. I started the vid a little late and it looks as if HD took off before Bullistic, but that isn't the case and Bullistic advised that they took off at basically the same time. Bullistic was running a 30 pitch performer, which I believe hurt his hole shot - but never the less the vid does a good job of showing you the speed at which the prop pushed HD out of the hole and the quick mid-range. I believe he ran the prop at 95 mph, thus it was not the quickest prop he ran, but that is not shabby and I am sure he will pull out another mph or two out of it in a long run. The prop handled a load well and you can see the rooster tail lad down clean and the prop continuously grabbing water. Enjoy, hope this answers your request/question:

baitcaster

Sorry for the late post to your question, for some reason I am not receiving notifications of subsequent posts on a tread. I will try and check more often.

baitcaster

Kan anyone give me sum REEL guidence on this combo???.....

Rex u iz a born raized Merkery man and I must say I heered a fine HI PO formance
Merc mechanic and a dayum good racer!! Bottom line most Merc guys kan't make one
dem BIG DOG OMC's RUN! GOOD LUCK wiff da project!
What do you want to know?

baitcaster

:laughing:laughing:laughing:laughing